1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

selig warming up to idea of rose in hof?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 27, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

That would be up to the Hall of Fame, not Bud Selig.
    I hope you people realize Major League Baseball does not own or control the Hall of Fame, but the Hall abides by MLB's banned list (Rose, Joe Jackson etc.)

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I want to see Rose and Joe Jackson get in before any of the players with steroid questions (McGwire, Sosa, Manny, Bonds, Clemens, Palmeiro etc.) make it to Cooperstown.

3. Mizzougrad96

It would be good if Selig put Rose on the ballot and then said, "Ok, it's up to the writers..."

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Again, Selig does not have the power to put Rose on the ballot.
    He can reinstate Rose and the Hall of Fame will have to decide whether he goes back on the 15-year clock or goes to the vet's committee.

5. Mizzougrad96

But he does have the power to keep him off the ballot. If Rose is reinstated, he'd have to go on the regular ballot because nobody ever had the chance to vote for him. The problem here is there is no precedence.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

From Madden's story:

If Selig does reinstate him, Rose then would become eligible for the Hall of Fame, but on the Veterans Committee ballot, as his 15 years on the Baseball Writers ballot expired during his time on the ineligible list. He would thus have to be elected by his peers, the 65 living members in the Hall of Fame, not all of whom agree with Aaron, Morgan and Robinson that Rose has done his time. It's hard to say if he would get the necessary 75% for election. "I know there are still guys who feel strongly against him," said one Hall of Famer, "and I don't know if that would change even if Selig clears him."

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Throwing games, or the threat of throwing games, is far more damaging to the legitimacy of baseball than any form of cheating with the intent to win, including the use of steroids.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Pete Rose gets more publicity. Oh joy!

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But an argument could be made that if he was never on the eligible list to begin with, his 15-year clock never started.

10. Mizzougrad96

I'd put Rose in over any of the steroid guys except Bonds and Clemens.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

He did get votes (as did Shoeless Joe did at one time) so that would be weighed as well.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Fuck Pete Rose.

He lied forever about whether he bet on baseball. Then when he was finally convinced he had to admit the obvious, he said, "Huh? Oh, yeah. I bet like a bastard. Every game."

There's never been any sincerity in any-fucking-thing he's said or done.

Fuck Pete Rose.

Draft saved Draft deleted