1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

selig warming up to idea of rose in hof?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 27, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

interesting piece by bill madden today, saying even selig advisor hank aaron has gone to bat for rose. i've long been an anti-pete guy but even i agree it's time to give him his get out of jail card:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2009/07/27/2009-07-27_pete_rose.html

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

As long as he's dead when it happens, I'm all for it.

3. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I heard it being mentioned on the radio. A baseball writer was saying he believed it was time to let Pete Rose into the Hall of Fame because he is a big part of baseball history. However, convincing enough other writers to agree would be a difficult task.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Here's how I would handle it.

ROSE: "Hello."

SELIG: "Pete? Bug Selig here. You're in."

ROSE: "Excuse me?"

SELIG: "The Hall of Fame. You're in. Effective today, you have been inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame."

ROSE: "That's wonderful news, sir. Thank you. When is the ceremony?"

SELIG: "There is no ceremony. No press conference. No spectacle of any kind. You're in the Hall. That's what you wanted, right?"

ROSE: "Well, yes. But . . . "

SELIG: "Good. Congratulations, Pete. Goodbye."

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

know what? that would be perfect! i'd have no stomach for watching pete at the podium on induction day day.

6. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

The all-time hit leader, all-time home run leader and one of its winningest pitchers, in Clemens, all excluded from the Hall of Fame for various forms of cheating. Maybe they should admit them all with a similar phone call from Selig, and put their plaques in a broom closet or a dark hallway.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

shit, pete would take it in a second, as long as he can write "Pete Rose HOF Hits Leader" as his autograph. His inscription price would go up big time. Now's the time to put him in, because he's no longer baseball villain numero uno, thanks to the steroid era.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's not bad, BTE, but I would also have it come with a continued ban from working in baseball. I don't know if any team would hire him anyway, but just to be sure. Keep him out of the game.

I heard a bit about this on the radio this morning, too. Mike & Mike were talking about it and suggested that if they were going to let Rose in, they should let Joe Jackson in, too.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's pretty solid. Of course that would require backbone, which Bud doesn't have.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

And, of course, Selig does non have the power to unilaterally put Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame. And since Pete's 15 years on the BBWAA ballot are up, it will be up to the vet's committee to eventually elect him if Bud lifts the ban.
    Which means, if Selig says he's reinstated, the current living Hall of Fame members, the veterans' commmittee, will have to vote him in. There are a lot of guys who won't ever vote for him so it might still be iffy.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So his 15-year clock wouldn't start over after he came off the banned list?

12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

The 15-year clock applies only to the BBWAA voting, not to the Veterans Committee.

Draft saved Draft deleted