1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selig to be in attendance when Bonds passes Aaron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jakewriter82, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

99-MPH heater in the helmet. All it takes is one pitcher with guts to take the leap.

2. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

It's not the fact that Bonds is getting combed for every detail that bothers me. It's the fact that he already has, yet people still bitch.

"Walk him every time."

"Hit him in the head."

"Throw him off the plane."

"Ban him from baseball."

Yada yada yada yada.

We've heard every damn argument. We've heard every viewpoint--the extreme and the not so extreme. And you know what? It's still going to happen. I'm just tired of hearing all the crap every time it comes up. Let it go, let him do it. Boo him, whatever.

But I hope he hits it at home and gets a standing ovation from everybody there. And that's just to spite all the people who have used so much time and energy hating him for the last several years, because I know that even if Bonds hits 800 home runs, he's not the best home run hitter to ever live. Just like I don't think Cy Young is the best pitcher to ever live.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I have news for you.

You're going to hear it every time the man's name comes up for the rest of your life.

That's the reality. He cheated. And even if he has his defenders, the best he'll ever engender is and argument over the legitimacy of his numbers. That's his asterisk.

Baseball doesn't forget. Joe Jackson isn't in the HOF. Pete Rose still has never appeared on the ballot. That's the way it is.

Your best hope if you want to quit hearing about it is that Arod continues on his current pace and demolishes the number.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Why do you think I'm so hell bent on Bonds being a cheater? ;D

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But remember, when Doc is telling you he's giving you the cream, it means something different than when he gives it to Bonds.

6. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Oh, I know it's going to continue.

It's just that I don't see why everyone bitches about the inevitable. It's not the fact that he "cheated" that bothers me--I'm pretty sure he did. It's not even the idea that every time there's a discussion about the guy, people call him a cheater--that's going to happen too.

It's the fact that every single time Bonds comes up, there's an idiot or two in the crowd that makes some comment about walking him every time, hitting him in the head or something along those lines. That's childish bullshit.

It's like I said: I just don't see the point in complaining about it so much. He's going to break the record, but it's still just a record. Everyone who watched baseball during the Barry Bonds Era is going to know that he was a prick and probably a cheater (and the only reason I say "probably" is because it hasn't been directly proven yet), which is going to keep him from ever being acknowledged as the best home run hitter alive by anyone who knows baseball.

So sit back, relax and enjoy baseball season. There are plenty of other good stories to pay attention to without having to waste air moaning about walking Barry Bonds.

Draft saved Draft deleted