1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selig Serious About Expanding Playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Nov 2, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

I suppose if I mention that the Wolrd Series outdrew the NFL Sunday night, OOP will all me an apologist for stating facts:

FOX took the lead for the night, drawing in 16.7 million viewers and a 9.7 rating/16 share in households. NBC also had a hefty 13.2 million tuning in and a 7.9/13, followed by CBS (10.1 million, 6.2/10) and ABC (7.9 million, 5.1/8).

NBC and FOX tied, however, in the 18-49 demo with a 5.2 rating apiece

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I read it that the NFL outdrew the World Series Sunday night.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/11/nfls-steelers-saints-beats-mlbs-world-series-in-tv-ratings/1

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Can someone please explain to me what bearing this has on baseball as a business, a business that is headed for record profits yet again? That is the purpose of those ratings, after all, to determine advertising rates and hence the amount of money a particular entity makes.

4. poindexter

Less and less people are watching your showcase product.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Can't see them shortening the regular season and giving up that game revenue.

Better option would be to shorten or move up spring training. Start the season earlier and mostly with inter-divisional matchups--deal with the March weather where you can schedule day night doubleheaders for postponements.

But, instead they'll probably just add on to the end where we'll be looking at a mid-November Minnesota/Detroit/Boston v. Philly/Chicago/Milwaukee series that will get caught in an epic snowstorm that will delay the series several days or a week, require trucks to haul off snow from the stadium, play the finish amid snow drifts and 20 degree weather, and at that point, MLB will figure they need to come up with a contingency plan to deal for that type of scenario in the future.

6. Crash

Crash Active Member

First, I don't think baseball and Dancing With the Stars are competing for the same audience.

And second, adding *more* games isn't going to fix baseball's "TV problem."

Regardless of TV numbers, baseball is the one sport that gets the playoffs right. There's no reason that a team that isn't among the eight best in the league, especially after 162 games, should be in the playoffs. None at all.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Darn facts.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Facts from ratings site, that don't agree with NFL synchophant's view:

FOX took the lead for the night, drawing in 16.7 million viewers and a 9.7 rating/16 share in households. NBC also had a hefty 13.2 million tuning in and a 7.9/13, followed by CBS (10.1 million, 6.2/10) and ABC (7.9 million, 5.1/8).

NBC and FOX tied, however, in the 18-49 demo with a 5.2 rating apiece

9. Crash

Crash Active Member

Oh great. Another baseball v. football pissing match that includes TV ratings -- numbers that don't have any bearing on any of us or any other fans.

If you don't like baseball, don't watch it. Simple enough. I don't like the NFL...so I don't watch it. Works well enough for me.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are missing the point. If I didn't like baseball, I wouldn't care. But I do. I want to see it become something better than what it is now.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The contingency plan will be to contract the Marlins/Rays and use Florida instead as a permanent neutral site for the Fall Winter Classic.

12. poindexter

I like baseball. I like football. Baseball is on the verge of becoming irrelevant. I think its a big deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted