1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selig Serious About Expanding Playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

They're very much in danger of killing the golden goose if they keep pushing for more revenue-making opportunities.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AoPASR8YZHArJlLpw55T_xc5nYcB?slug=ap-expandedplayoffs

What's your take on this?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's too long as is.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They need to cut about a month off the season and about 10 days off of spring training. If they add teams to the playoffs they should cut more time. Of course, teams can't afford to pay their players this way, but most of us would rather watch football in September, October and November.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Baseball is the one sport where you could argue that more teams should make the postseason.

But if they're going to go down this road they have to shorten the regular season. It would be foolhardy at best to add another week of playoffs and push the end of the World Series to mid-November.

And, no, playing the Series at a neutral site should not be an option.

5. Mizzougrad96

If they want to start the season earlier and go back to having the championship series at five games, I might be able to deal with that. Spring Training is way too long.

I just don't like baseball being played in November and I don't like the Super Bowl being played into February. I'm guessing I'll have to get used to both.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just because one sport hasn't completely sold out its postseason doesn't mean there's an argument that they should.

All playoff series should be 3 rounds.

If you are not at least the 8th best team in the regular season, you really don't deserve to be playing for a championship.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Bad idea. There are certain parts of this country where baseball was not meant to be played in mid to late November (or even early November for that matter, but that ship has sailed), especially at night.
    Baseball was never meant to be a man-against-the-elements kind of thing. The cold weather, and in some cases snow, that adds to football does not add anything to baseball.

8. Crash

Crash Active Member

If it ain't broke...

9. Mizzougrad96

It's always bugged me that baseball can't be played in the rain.

A torrential downpour? Fine. Lightning, fine. But I've covered so many games where there's a light sprinkle or a slow and steady rain and they won't go out there.

It annoys me. I'm probably the only one. :D

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It doesn't add to football, either.

It's just cool to look at on TV while sitting in a warm living room.

Football is an autumn game. Or it was before 17-week regular seasons and 12-team playoffs fucked it up.

11. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Your definitely not the only one, it bugs the crap out of me when they postpone the game if it rains a bit.

I don't about you guys, but when I was younger I used to play Baseball in the rain all the time, and it was a blast. Grant it, I wasn't making millions of dollars, and if I got injured it wasn't a big concern :)

12. Mizzougrad96

Their contracts are guaranteed. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted