1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selig might reinstate Aaron as HR king.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Feb 12, 2009.

?

But should he stop there?

1. Keep Bonds on top

20 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Reinstate Aaron

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Reinstate Maris with an FU to McGwire and Sosa

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. both 2 and 3

28 vote(s)
    50.9%
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

At this point, the facts are mutually agreed upon and we're never going to agree on the interpretations:

Hank Aaron maintained roughly level home run production throughout his career, late into his 30s and almost to his 40s.
    At least one former teammate who played with Aaron has said that steroid use was widespread in baseball and in that clubhouse.
    There were factors that helped Aaron's home run production, beginning in his very early 30s: the lowered mound and the move to a hitter-friendly park.

There's no sense going in circles about how much significance to place on each of these facts. I'll try to leave this to the posting of new ones.

The point I wanted to make was never specifically about Aaron. The point was that steroids existed in baseball long before the 1990s, and that amphetamines were almost universal in the sport even before that. It's just that in the 1990s, the players were on much, much better stuff.

Here's Rep. Henry Waxman on the history of steroid use in baseball:

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"I wish I could erase these dates during which RickStain doesn't know how to use the quote function."

I know how. I like my way better.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm sure your rotary phone works just fine, too.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Twoback: Let the Feds and the Texas cops prosecute Rodriguez.
    MLB did not have punishments in their books when he admitted to using. If Selig suspends him, I believe that is the start of a very slippery slope. If Selig suspends ARod, then what's next? Retroactively suspending all of the known users and wiping their names out of the record books? Eliminating all individual and team accomplishments, including playoff berths and championships? How far back does Selig go?

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Bud, don't go away mad.

Bud, just go away-ay.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I voted with my heart to have it go back to Maris and Aaron.

My head tells me baseball, and all sports, will always have drugs. No matter what testing is in place, the bad guys will be ahead of the good guys.

So just make them legal? Do we have the pitcher toss a clincher at them?

Draft saved Draft deleted