1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selena Roberts: Tiger won't catch Nicklaus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by broadway joe, Sep 30, 2009.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

She says Tiger won't get the five majors he needs to break Nicklaus' record. At 33, Tiger won't win five more majors the rest of his career? I'm far from a golf expert so correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a ridiculous prediction, is it not?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1160776/index.htm

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

As I have said on many other threads, Tiger really needs to get two majors next year when the "Tiger rota" is set up (Augusta, Pebble and St. Andrews), or he's in real trouble re: 19 pro majors.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

As I was reading it I was thinking, outing alert, Simon is Selena Roberts.

The stat I think she should have mentioned is that Nicklaus was 38 when he won his 15th. So Tiger could go majorless for the next four years, win the Masters at 38 and still be at Jack's pace.

And Jack took up golf at age 10 so that means he has a better shot at longevity than Tiger? I'm not sure Tiger's rounds between the ages of 2 and 10 are going to be affecting him when he's 38. Maybe the knees keep being problems, but that doesn't have anything to do with him being a child prodigy.

He doesn't win by 10 shots in majors, but he's also in almost every major the last few years, unlike his early years when it was a victory or fairly far back.

And he still takes flack for dumping Harmon? He won eight majors between 07 and 02. Got rid of Butch, went majorless for a few years. But...he then won six titles between 05 and half of 2008. He's somehow managed all right without him.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not a bad column - she backs up her opinion with some anecdotal evidence. But Tiger wins at least one major this year if his putting was decent. I think the shape he is in makes it more likely Tiger does it. I don't see is body breaking down anytime soon.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

tiger will win 25 when all is said an done. maybe more. he's got, what, 25 more good years left? he's built like a tank, is in great shape and just wants to win. it's his entire reason for living. hell, he might win 30.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Somehow I doubt it's his entire reason for living.

If it is, though, his priorities are seriously out of whack.

[​IMG]

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not even going to waste the time it takes to read that column. No chance he doesn't break the record. Zippy!

As for winning 25 or 30? Maybe not, but definitely 20.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You forgot the blue font.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Bless you, my child.

Elin is smoking hot.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That we are even discussing this = Selena wins.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Selena is wrong.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well okay then.

Draft saved Draft deleted