1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selena Roberts: I think Whitlock was trying to out me; Chass is an old grump

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, May 20, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Beyond the question of an attempted outing, it's laughable to think that straight women understand men or that men understand women.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe Whitlock and Chass simply thought it was a mean-spirited, loosely sourced and poorly executed book?

Why doesn't she deal with those genuine criticisms instead of going back to the pop psychology?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

BINGO!!!

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

You should listen to the podcast. She does her best to address many of those questions.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I haven't read the A-rod book. Can't comment. I do know Selena has been a class act the few times I've talked to her.

6. thirsty

thirsty Member

When did Selena officially come out? I mean, it's been known in NY and NJ media circles for years, but nobody ever talked or giggled about it.
    The circumstances probably would have made an interesting page 6 item, so its a credit to the people who knew the ins-and-outs that nobody took it to the gossip pages.
    Years ago there was some confusion when she told her editors she had to move to Denver because of a boyfriend, and everyone knew that wasn't exactly right. But the move got the Times plenty of pre-2002 SLC Olympic stories. They got their worth out of Selena. It's pretty low to see the NYT trying to attack her now.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Find it hard to argue with the premise that Chass has become a grump. If I'd been through what he's been through, I'd be one, too, but nonetheless the label fits.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I agree.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It sounds like the anti-blogging blogger was one before he got axed, if you believe her "you sat in my seat!" story.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But it's so much easier to just attack any reporter who nails a baseball player for steroid use without bothering to get all the facts.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am not a big podcast fan. I wish he would post a transcription.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I can't open the link to the podcast, so this is just based on the Deadspin summary and what has been posted here:

In the absence of Whitlock calling her an 'angry lesbian' (as opposed to an 'angry feminist') her response comes off as defensive and victimized.

I know plenty of devoutly hetero women who are routinely called 'angry feminists,' as if the two words are inexorably bound together by definition.

I don't know how you 'out' someone who is already out, which I believe she has been for some years, at least among those who know her or her partner. I don't know why anyone else would care.

That said, however, I can't possibly see what feminism, angry or otherwise, has to do with this book.

Draft saved Draft deleted