1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seinfeld's Kramer freaking loses it!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 20, 2006.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Why are you apologizing to David Letterman's mostly white, mostly middle aged, mostly middle class and midwestern audience? Those are the people most likely to say "uhh, dah hell's so bad bout what he said?" Christ, holding a presser with Al Sharpton is a better move.

2. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Maybe it's just me, but i didn't feel as if he actually felt that bad about it. He seemed angry - but more angry that all this is happening.

Possibly the worst part in all of this is that Jerry so badly wants this to go away so he can sell DVDs and pocket boatloads of money. I hope everyone can see that. Kramer should have played it like Mel - silence until the Barbara Walters interview. bitch always makes people look sympathetic.

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Damn right! He should have held out for a spot on the CW's 7-9 p.m. Monday lineup. If he'd have gone on "Everybody Hates Chris," "All of Us," "Girlfriends" or "The Game" his apology would have connected with the appropriate demographic. Good point.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

When someone stands up in front of an audience, calls a couple of black men "niggers" over and over again and refers to lynching them, I feel pretty safe in labeling him a racist. Does Richards hate all black people? Would he burn a cross on someone's lawn? Probably not. But if your instinct when you get angry at a black person is to spew that kind of garbage, then yes, you are a racist. It's true that the term gets thrown around too much these days every time someone makes a politically incorrect statement, but in this case it's totally appropriate. You simply can't get up and shout the things Richards shouted without having some seriously fucked up racial views.

5. XXXX

XXXX Member

nah i think he did seem contrite. i think seinfeld is really a great friend, but he also wants this to go away. i think jerry and richards talked earlier about it and jerry said that he was going on the tonight show and he'll seeif he could apoligize on there. he did seem like he was sorry, and i wouldnt be surprised to hear that he commits suicide soon unfortunatly.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I can't remember if it was on the Seinfeld TV special or one of the early DVD collections, but what you say is right. I remember Jason Alexander saying how angry Richards got when scenes broke down because "Richards took his acting so seriously."

Reminds of Andy Kauffman knocking sitcoms when he starred on Taxi.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

At times, Seinfeld was "politically incorrect," albeit often veiled. Still, what's the difference?

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Rodriguez's feigned outrage.

9. ShelbyFoote

ShelbyFoote Member

Disagree, Almost Famous. I thought he came across as pretty despondent ...

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This might be a total stretch, but Dan Patrick (on Letterman) said something about once interviewing OJ ... So, is it possible that Richards has a contrarian opinion on OJ's book/interview/etc. and was supremely pissed off about it and let the anger fester until it surfaced during his set? Misplaced anger is a serious thing that is very hard to hold onto; I've fallen victim to it over the years: you represss anger from one situation and it comes out 100-fold at the worst possible moment and ain't a goddam thing you can do about it. Again, it's a stretch. But we've seen public outrage over OJ doing this book and such. Behind the actor/comedian, Richards is just a person. Well, it's only a theory.

11. freaky styley

freaky styley Member

total stretch

12. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Richards seemed genuinely upset over what happened and he was definitely extremely uncomfortable during the interview.
    But he lost me when he started talking about Katrina and the race problems in this country. His rant had nothing to do with anything but issues in his own head.

At least he didn't use the "some of my best friends are black" defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted