1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Segui: Feds Asked About Retired Stars (Knoblauch, Dystra)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Segui says feds asked about retired stars

STEROID SAGA CONTINUES
    Segui has doubts: Veteran player wonders about Grimsley's 'speculation'
    Grimsley suspended: Despite release by D'backs, pitcher banned 50 games if he returns
    Mitchell probe: Ex-senator making little headway as MLBPA stands in way
    Analysis: Speculation running rampant as Grimsley, Pujols share trainer
    Commentary: Saraceno: Grimsley's admissions further steroid scandal | Lopresti: Trouble back in a big way for baseball
    Lawyer says Bonds targeted: Grimsley's attorney believes client 'outed'
    More
    By Bob Nightengale, USA TODAY
    The federal government not only inquired about Houston Astros star pitchers Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte five months ago but also asked about former All-Stars Chuck Knoblauch and Lenny Dykstra, former first baseman/outfielder David Segui told USA TODAY.

Jason Grimsley gave federal agents the names of several major league players he says used steroids, human growth hormones (HGH) and amphetamines in an affidavit April 19. The names were blacked out in court records and have yet to be confirmed on the record by anyone who has reviewed the affidavit. Yet the Los Angeles Times, citing a person who viewed an unedited copy of the search warrant affidavit filed in federal court May 31, said Miguel Tejada, Brian Roberts and Jay Gibbons of the Baltimore Orioles also were identified.

BLOG: Your reaction to the report

"(Grimsley) told me about a few of the names that were in that affidavit," said Segui, who had already confirmed his name in June, saying he took HGH that was prescribed by a doctor. "But there were others, too. He told me that he didn't tell (the feds) about them, but they asked him.

"It's all so strange. Why would they even want to know about Knoblauch and Dykstra since they've been out of the game so long?"

Knoblauch, who played four years for the Yankees and retired after the 2002 season, and Dykstra, who last played in 1996, could not be reached for comment.

Luke Macaulay, public affairs officer for the U.S. Attorney's Office, said his office will continue its policy to neither confirm nor deny any of the names in the affidavit. He also declined to say whether any of the players identified in the affidavit have been investigated by the government, but Segui said he has not been contacted.

Clemens and Pettitte, whose agents have declined since June to answer questions from USA TODAY about the affidavit, expressed surprise that their names publicly surfaced.

"I'm stunned," Pettitte told USA TODAY. "Obviously, I don't know what to say. I haven't used any drugs to enhance my performance on the baseball field. It's a shame. It's embarrassing. That's all there is to it."

Clemens called it "dangerous, malicious and reckless," threatening a possible lawsuit.

Brian McNamee, the personal trainer for Clemens and Pettitte, also was identified in the affidavit, according to the Times. He has declined to return nearly 40 telephone messages by USA TODAY since early June.

"I still am surprised if Mac had anything to do with that stuff," said Segui. "I know him very well. I never once heard him talk about drugs."

The three Orioles players — Tejada, Roberts and Gibbons — also continued to deny involvement with illegal performance drugs, according to The (Baltimore) Sun.

"I don't know why they always bring up my name," Tejada told The Sun. "I already had trouble with (Rafael) Palmeiro last year. I am not stupid. I already have my money. I already have great numbers. I've already had a great career. Why should I do something stupid with Grimsley? ...

"I know that I've never used that, and I know I am clean. I don't worry about anybody who puts me in that stuff. I'll get checked out for anybody, any time, any moment — whenever they want."

Said Gibbons: "I have passed every test administered by Major League Baseball over all the years. I have never taken anabolic steroids. And I am not going to dignify these claims and accusations with any further response."

Roberts said: "His accusations are ridiculous. We've had steroid testing, and I've taken all the tests. There is no point in getting into verbal wars. That's really all there is to say."

Contributing: Mel Antonen in Atlanta

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I love the "have declined to speak with USA Today since June about the affadavit ..." line.

IOW: "We didn't get scooped. We knew about it, too!!!"

3. Deeper_Background

Both small guys who wouldn't be the prototypical candidates for juicing. Maybe they were dealing?

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

"Small guy?" Why, you medical moron:
    before
    [​IMG]after[​IMG]

5. Deeper_Background

I meant no one thinks the 190 lb second baseman or SS is on roids, not the first position one thinks of when thinking of who is juicing.

Draft saved Draft deleted