1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, May 22, 2013.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think baseball should expand to eight four-team divisions and just play 16 games over 17 weeks.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

When the AFC kicks off at the 40 and QB sacks are two hand touch and the NFC bans the kickoff and QB sacks require the knee to contact the ground, then let me know how fungible the contests are?

The rules are different between the AL and NL. The number of games played in baseball allows each team to play both every team in their division the same number of times and the rest of the league the same number of times. This allows the regular season to adequately and quite rightfully determine the best team(s) in the regular season. Not like bullshit hockey where the Caps can be the 3rd seed despite really being the 7th seed.

In the NFL, there are tie breakers for playoff spots like gross yardage from scrimage following a free kick in the 4th quarter, in baseball if a tie occurs at the end of the season, there are elimination games to determine post season bi[e?]rths.

The NFL gerrymanders its schedule for parity, last years bad teams play an easier schedule, by design. By design the NFL tries to get a team that wasn't in the previousplayoffs into the playoffs the following year by giving them, on purpose, an easier schedule.

In baseball, without interleague play, the regular season actually determines the best team. Then the elaborate system of playoffs determine which team is best at winning a short series. Bring back 2 divisions in each league, no interleague play and a LCS and WS. No DH. Grass. Out doors. 2 day games a week.

And if you are going to keep interleague play and only play a single series or a single home&home series, go back to the 154 game schedule. Because with weather postponements, som teams are going to have to fly around the country to make up a single game. And god forbid Seattle gets rained out in Miami and they have to make it up in a pennant race in September between a series in La and Oakland

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

They did a balanced schedule years ago, and people hated that too, because the Red Sox and Yankees were now playing each other the same amount of times as the Red Sox and Angels. So, you're not going to make the fundamentalists happy either way, so you might as well do a mix that at least tries to appeal to a bigger group of people.

I do agree with you that they should probably just decide on all DH or no DH, since it does actually effect the value of players and strategy when half the teams in the game have different roster needs than the other half. But the rest of your ideas, like playing more day games, make no sense, since it would intentionally limit revenue. You want more games in the afternoon, when people would have to take days off from work to go and the vast majority of any television audience isn't home? While I understand the novelty of afternoon games, as a viewer I am kind of glad that 90 percent of the Sox's weekday games are going to be on at 7 p.m. or after.

4. heyabbott

As for day games, I think what I'd like to see is afternoon games every Saturday and Sunday. Where you have a ball park in a city and start Saturday at 2:00 or 3:00, you now have 30K people downtown where it would otherwise be devoid of consumers.

I hate Saturday night baseball games. But it would be great to go to a late afternoon game then hang around the city for supper.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not that far off. Less than a month until the 50th anniversary of Wallace's Stand in the Schoolhouse Door. The quote in the thread title was from his inauguration speech, which was Jan. 1963. This spring was 50 years since the Birmingham Campaign (aka dogs and hoses) and Sept. marks 50 years since the 16th Street Baptist bombing.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

If the ballpark is, you know, downtown.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Here goes....

The idea of moving Houston to the American League in order to have two 15-team leagues was silly. A limited amount of interleague play is a nice novelty thing and gives fans in some places chances to see players in the other league that they might not otherwise get to see up close.

But not interleague play every freakin' day. And if you are going to move a traditional NL team to the AL, why not Milwaukee (which used to be an AL team for many years) or a younger team like Colorado or Arizona? Someone got a real raw deal.

OK, rant over for now. Hope you enjoyed. :)

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Rangers and other AL West teams, on the other hand, are thrilled to have 19 games against the Astros.

9. heyabbott

well, if you're in, you know, Queens or Anaheim, you're fucked anyway

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Great Korean food in downtown Flushing, just minutes from CitiField.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Or Arlington.
    Or Kansas City.

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Right by where I used to work. Citifield that is.

Draft saved Draft deleted