1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, May 22, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Honestly? I bet people would be fine without it. They might even prefer the series to go away. The novelty long has worn off, particularly playing six games a year like this. I remember that as a beat writer, it was my least favorite two series of the year, because of the ridiculous amount of media that was around. Just a circus for a couple of regular-season games.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't mind the three games with the Mets. It's the fact that they play six games that drives me crazy.

And, I don't think it would be a problem at all if they only played them every three years -- that is if you played every team in one division each year.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

With no interleague play, inter-division play can be two home&home series. Do that every year and KC and Texas develop a rivalry. Now? Except for your divisional games, its a bland feeling.

get over the title. have a little fun. Have a Coke and a Smile and STFU

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

By interleague play?

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

The geographic rivalries are the only ones worthwhile, Mets-Yanks, Nats-O's, Dodgers-Angels, A's-Giants and a few others.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The thread title.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of interleague play but it's a necessity of having two 15-team leagues, so it will survive at least until there's a two-team expansion.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

in the event that someone should choose to take offense at the thread title, I deeply regret that

9. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

He got fired up from Tiger taking offense on the Sergio thread and had to let it out somehow.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

When I saw the thread title, I assumed Mark was about to entertain us with one of his good ol boys rants.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

MLB should follow the lead of the most popular sports league, the NFL, which rigidly keeps teams in separate conferences from playing one another. It definitely seems like that's a factor in its success.

Snide aside, I do feel like MLB gets a bunch of shit anytime it tries to change something because it has been around forever, whereas the NBA and NFL have had teams playing one another regardless of conference for years, and it hasn't seemed to hurt the prestige of the game or the interest in Super Bowls / Finals where the teams have already played one another. The type who is going to be offended about this is the type who is going to still watch the games anyway.

Oh, and yeah, this topic title is stupid. Who wrote it, Kellen Winslow Jr.?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Been saying for years to just get rid if the leagues, have the DH for everyone, realign into six divisions based on geography and have a balanced schedule.

Draft saved Draft deleted