1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seen the new Google Maps?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Dec 15, 2013.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've been toying around with it this afternoon. It's a quantum leap in some parts of the world. Much more detailed, and the interactivity (links to businesses and restaurants with a click, easier driving directions) has reached a new level.

Not everybody in my house was so happy with it, though.

When we got down to the view of our house, it was so clear you could see inside our open garage, right down to an open screen door well inside the building. It's that detailed now.

My wife didn't like that at all. She said it's like they're intruding on people's lives. My daughter said it had a little bit of a Big Brother vibe to it.

I think the advancement overshadows that concern.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

A screen door on the inside? OK.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

The Google Maps streetview car was in these parts on a Monday or a Thursday. Our trash can is out by the street.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I've never even seen my car at any time on Google Maps. It's never in any of the driveways or lots where I've lived or worked.

Funny thing is, my daughter left her car parked in front of my apartment two years ago for a week's honeymoon, and it's there in the street view -- complete with the penis and balls one of her friends adorned a side window with.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Just went to look at the street view for the house I lived in senior year of college. Apparently, they finally drove down and took another picture. For about 5 years after I moved out, my car was parked out in front and you could actually read the license plate, which was kind of creepy.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Great. Worst case of getting caught masturbating ever.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Everyone wants privacy, but what does the Google lens see that someone walking down the street can't see?

Though I have no room to talk, because I live on a road that Google will not find.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Ha. I checked out my house, and I'm actually standing outside the front door. Crazy.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

When you put my mom's address in now, you get a house that's about a mile up the street.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe she moved and didn't tell you.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You get garbage pickup twice a week? Fancy!

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They didn't blur you out? In photos of my area, they blur or Photoshop people out.

My house freaked me out. There's a ghostly figure inside my front window. Probably my son, but he's not one to do that.

I also played everyone's favorite game Find Your Car. Found my wife's -- in one frame it's at her office. Never saw mine, but I think Google does these in the late morning which means it would've been in our garage.

Draft saved Draft deleted