1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking Florida Photogs

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by HeinekenMan, Aug 26, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I just started helping out a start-up called LocalReplay (www.localreplay.com) in Florida. They're into Georgia and North Carolina, where it all originated. I'm supplying the written content for the Florida site, which has a news area set up as a blog.

The site is primarily geared toward prep athletes. It sort of has a MySpace feel to it, because it allows individuals to register for free and create their own pages, where they can upload their own content in the form of photos and video. Stats also can be added, but I believe the company has stipulated that they most be submitted by coaches, thereby ensuring that Rickey Henderson's grandson can't claim to have rushed for 8,000 yards last week.

The company's owners have been urging me to find some photographers willing to post their pics on the site. I'm aware that news photogs want to be paid for their work, but this new company isn't quite at a point where that's possible. But there is an option you might consider...

The company allows photographers to post pics with links that bounce folks directly to the photogs' sites, where many have set up ordering processes. So, if you were to be hired to cover a game in Melbourne, you could take spare photos and upload them to the LocalReplay site with links to your own company's Web site. If this is something you'd consider, PM me.

Even if you're not interested, I'd appreciate feedback, even harsh criticism. And I'd be grateful if folks passed along the information to parents who might take photos on the sidelines. I know it's pretty common practice, as is people just shooting games for leisure. The site is also looking for game coverage. Once again, it would likely be without direct pay. But, if you're in college and you're just looking for experience, it might be something to consider, especially if you're already attending games.

Thanks a bunch.

Draft saved Draft deleted