1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

See Ya Target Eh!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I agree completely. People go where they can get the best deal and where they can get the products they want. I would argue the big box stores are actually growing more than anything. Target was mismanaged from the day they entered the Canadian market and did not position themselves to be competitive at all. In fact they were worse than the stores they were replacing -- Zellers -- and that's saying something. The only place where you see the ma and pa stores really have a foothold are in the small towns, but then it comes down to a lack of options and their own monopoly on the market. I know very few people who follow through on their sentimentalities for supporting the little guy over Corporate 'Merica. I hear people voice their issues with Wal-Mart and the like, but then they still go there because they know they can still get what they want at a better price, even if it hurts their soul to walk through those doors. Target couldn't follow through on anything they promised as competition to Wal-mart.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There are a lot of so called "ma & pa store" in large cities because they can create a niche that the big box stores can't address and they have the market.

An I generally find the "ma & pa stores" term condescending and insulting There are lots of indies in all sorts of categories that do well. And many of them are run by young, dynamic entrepreneurs who understand what running a business entails.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

JR good to see that your opinion of box stores has evolved since 2008 :

Draft saved Draft deleted