1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC's Slive proposes major NCAA changes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 20, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I heard an interesting idea from Josh Luchs, disgraced former agent. Allow athletes to designate an "agent" or advisor before they enter school. They can be responsible for helping them out if a financial need arises and provide advice as to whether to stay in school or not in addition to representing them in any NCAA inquiry.
    Preferably, athletes would seek out someone qualified and who would have something to lose - like their right to practice law - if things went bad.
    It's not like there aren't these types of people involved already. Getting it documented might be a step in the right direction.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Waiting for the Pac-12 skywriters thread.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

These schools can well afford it. Just cut the salaries they're paying to football and men's basketball coaches.

Looking at USA Today's 2010 football salary list, at least 60 of the 130 schools listed have a head coach making over $1 million. To coach football, not discover a cure for cancer. This list also doesn't include a few coaches whose salaries were N/A, but that it's safe to assume that they were making over $1 million (Kiffin, Brian Kelly, Randy Shannon, plus some others).

Cut those millon-dollar salaries in half, and there's half the extra expense right there

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2010-coaches-contracts-table.htm

33 of 60 men's basketball coaches in the 2010 NCAA tournament (5 N/As) made over $1 million. Cut their salaries in half as well.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2010-coaches-salary-database.htm

I know, I know, it's Socilism! And the poor coaches work hard too.

And those coaches are allowed to skip out on their contracts for a better deal, without sitting out a year, too. And they're allowed to negotiate their deals. Athletes are not.

And I'm fully in favor of scholarships lasting more than one year. The athletes are supposed to be there to get an education. They shouldn't have the rug ripped out from under them financially because some million-dollar coach found someone who can play their position better than them.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I will argue something has to be done. A system that makes billions and billions of dollars, yet penalizes a team because someone bought a player a fucking slice of pizza, makes NO sense.

If you give the athletes a little something so they can afford a few things away from the field, maybe you won't have the cheating going on. I know, I can dream.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not at Ohio State.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

From the ESPN story, Spurrier puts his foot in his mouth, again.

""No, that's a terrible idea, commissioner," he said. "You sportswriters have a two-year contract? Everybody has to earn their way in life ... Luckily, coaches have 4- or 5-year contracts."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6787539/mike-slive-sec-proposes-reforms-college-sports

So .... student-athletes are comparable to employees after all? Hmmmm.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Forget who said it, but saw a great tweet yesterday about the 2.5 GPA idea: "Sun Belt schools are going to have some STRONG defensive lines in a few years."

Draft saved Draft deleted