1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second jobs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

I've been looking on Craigslist for the past few months for a part time job. Sent my resume to a couple of places, but haven't heard anything back.

2. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

Also, would the subbing be a conflict of interest? You would be interacting with kids during the day that you would be covering later that night. Seems sort of weird to me.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Sub at a junior high. Or an elementary school. If you work for a paper that covers *them* on a regular basis, my God have mercy on your soul.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I don't bother with Craigslist anymore. I've sent countless emails and resumes to people, that, for places what I feel, I'm easily qualified for. I have never received a reply back, and if I do, it's usually just some spam message saying, "Thanks for applying. Call this number to set up an interview that is taking place at 'X' time."

Usually spam.

I gave up with that piece of shit website.

5. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie New Member

True. But when neteller went down, which in turn led to many sites disallowing american players (pokerroom.com (and its skins), partypoker.com (and its skins)) the influx of horrible players (and bonuses. I was a bonus whore) plummeted. Still can play at absolutepoker and fulltilt poker, but games are super tight and the amount of fish are few and far between.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

So what about third jobs?
    Found out a few days after posting the above that the guy I caddy for couldn't afford to be a fulltime member at the club, which means I am out of a loop.
    Time to find summer work ...

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

When I was working for a paper in Oregon I was thinking of getting a second gig, graveyard stocker at a grocery store was my choice. I told my SE that I was looking and a few days later the ME and publisher told me that it would reflect poorly on the paper if one of the writers had a second job to make more money.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I love that one. Did you get your raise?

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Nope. They got rid of me when they went through some staff cuts instead.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

They probably just wanted to free you for that stocking job of your dreams. They were nice to help you.

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I left Oregon three days after they got rid of me. Seattle has way more job opportunities. I make $3 more per hour as a security guard (and have way less work to do and some great bosses).

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Maybe I could be a security guard in the daytime and a reporter at night. It'd be like the opposite of Clark Kent.

Draft saved Draft deleted