1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second jobs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If you current work a second shift, sub teaching might be a good idea to make a little extra. Of course it depends on the district, but you're not obligated to work a certain number of hours a week, and you can make your own schedule.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

As a reporter, a second job would difficult since you work nights and a lot of days (with pressers, etc.). It would definitely be easier for a copy editor or designer since their work skeds are usually the same every day.

A friend in the biz got a second job as a bartender on the weekends. It drained him, but he said the exta dough was nice.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about picking up an overnight stocking shift at Wal-Mart, but that's more because there's a baby on the way than my lousy pay, which we've more or less gotten used to.

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

A reporter's schedule does not facilitate any convenient second job. That's why I've sought the overnight positions, where there's essentially zero overlap, except for general fatigue. Worked a 4 a.m.-10 a.m. prep shift at a restaurant several years ago, and it wasn't a problem.

5. Substitute teaching.

Also, if you take the LSAT, GRE, GMAT or MCAT (Ha!) and score high, you can quality to tutor at one of the test prep companies, though I think a lot of the classes are at night so ... no go on that.

I tried it at one point, but the training just kicked my ass and I dropped out after a few days. It wasn't easy if you aren't a college kid off for the summer. But it pays well - like $25 hour up to $50 for the companies that only take the 99th percentile.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

My last year in newspapers I worked a second job. Of course I was on the desk so I didn't have any day responsibilities. The schedule was brutal -- 7 a.m.-11 a.m. at the bookstore, 4 p.m.-1 a.m. at the paper.

Question: What does it say about us and our profession that a thread about second jobs is headed for a second page? We are degreed professionals and it's time the powers that be paid us as such. That's a big reason why I left.

7. I agree fully with that, and was going to post something similar. There seem to be two camps on this site. The noble martyrs and the money grubbers. It's been interesting to notice my own transformation from the former to the latter as I've aged.

8. RickStain

The key for the industry is maintaining a steady fresh supply of noble martyrs as the previous NMs fade into reality. It's like a cigarette company making sure to attract younger smokers as the older ones die off.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Dang, that's not a bad analogy.

10. Oh, and they will always be around. And I don't blame them. My advice never wavers - give yourself a time limit. Age 27 or 28 or so probably. If it ain't happening by then - and I mean if you aren't even making ends meet and can't get your feet under you, do something else. There's no shame in wanting to make more money and get some geographic stability, particularly once a family is in the picture.

11. RickStain

What a coincidence. I'm 27, the first baby is coming in late August/early September, and I'm sick of scraping by and living 1200 miles from family. And I'm getting out.

12. Good for you. Prepare for the barrage of "Money isn't everything" comments from management and SportsJournalists.com. And stick to your guns. You have nothing to apologize for. You answer to yourself and your family.

Draft saved Draft deleted