1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Come on. Don't tell me that thought never occurred to you, DW, or, probably, a lot of people here? I'd call BS, or else, too-cautious fake nonjudgmentalism.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You sound like you're about to cry.

3. WriteThinking

Exactly.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The thought didn't occur to me, but I'm also not surprised. My brother-in-law was gay, and he was one of those guys that was of the mindset that everyone who advocated discrimination against gays was a self-loathing gay, or at least should be under suspicion of that. I never really bought into it, at least not to the degree he did.

5. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Aquib Talib would have got em if he was there.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if the shooter was gay and perhaps self-loathing, does that mean it's not a terrorist act?

If true, does it mean it's not an issue with Islam at all? Or is it even more of a Muslim issue to cause someone who is gay to hate himself and others so much because of his religion?

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

If only there was a mechanism to stop the occasional nonsense on a thread instead of shutting the whole thing down.*

How do people who can't handle the random assholery of strangers on a message board function in everyday life?

*No, it is not irony if said mechanism is used on me.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Now we have to decide whether it's an incidence of 1) workplace violence; or 2) man-caused disaster.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's still terrorism. ISIS called it a "security operation." This is what they do.

10. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Cue up The American Beauty Reference. Matteen Cleaves was like the closeted Col Frank Fitts.

11. WriteThinking

The more important, interesting point of the link I posted was that Mateen may have been a regular at Pulse, and a known, familiar face who was, himself, also comfortable/non-threatening enough show up unnoticed there in this instance, making his shooting spree all the more possible, and deadly.

I mentioned my thought that he might have been gay just because that had been my thought, early on. But it doesn't really matter whether that gets proven out, or not. Of course, there may have been a correlation between Matteen being gay and his going to Pulse, but whether or not that was true was not really why I posted it.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Someone get Mitch Albom on this immediately.

Draft saved Draft deleted