1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC suspends Bruce Pearl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Nov 19, 2010.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

It's not cheating if you're not trying, and it's cheating if you get caught.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I honestly don't follow basketball. But from my seat, probably the most by the books Top 25 coach is Roy Williams, and I'm sure he still flirts with stuff like Pearl has been busted doing.

If you want to be a relevant program, you're going to have excessive texts, kids over to the lake house, etc.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

A little history lesson for Shoeless:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/8586946/

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/jul/16/ku_reveals_ncaa_violations/?mens_basketball

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/ncaa/04/21/kansas.trouble/index.html

4. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

To be clear, 8 conference games in a row, for a month. Which is still eight games, but it essentially torpedoes your SEC hopes, which can screw your Dance Chance.

And, while it is still 8 games, it was a penalty that was in addition to the 1.5 million salary reduction, and the ban on away recruiting until September of 2011.

Which is all to say, "only 8 games" sounds a little lighter than "eight conference games and 1.5 million and recruiting restrictions limiting your ability to travel to out of town recruits until September of 2011.* "

Carry on. That faint defense was of the SEC, not Pearl. And as to why he was not fired, you need to look at the contract and the grounds for termination - and the pay out if not "for cause". This has less to do with UT's moral outrage to Bruce's improper get together and lying about it than their response to contractual obligations.

(*That recruiting thing is key, as Pearl is known as a better recruiter than strategist.)

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I think it's been established that Pearl is working sans contract right now, meaning he can be fired without UT having to add him to the list of ex-coaches its still paying.

One of the juiciest rumors around Knoxville this week is that Pat Summitt will step in to coach the team in Pearl's absence. That would be a blast, IMO.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

All that does is confirm what I said, Roy Williams is mostly known as a do it right guy but still falls afoul of the NCAA.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If she was retired I'd buy that but Summitt it not walking away from the program she built just to help the men.

8. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

If that becomes true that will hurt the men's basketball program not only this year but long-term because it will set back recruiting. In addition, just because you are a good women's basketball coach does not mean you are a good men's basketball coach. The style of play is completely different. However, saying that, I do hope that they name her the men's basketball coach

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Being ironic? maybe you mean sarcastic?

10. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Nope, pretty sure I meant ironic.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Wrong. Pearl no longer has a contract. UT can fire him any time they want with no concern for cause and without losing a dime. And, even if he did have a contract, you don't think intentionally violating NCAA rules and lying to investigators constitutes "cause"? There are reasons why UT chose not to fire him, but you came nowhere close to finding them.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

And from Bruce's wife's FB page. Note the second wall post. It says:

"Now I know of two Jewish men who have been crucified. Lord be with my hubby's spirit. We will get through this."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted