1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC releases 2012 conference football pairings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Here are Missouri and Texas A&M's 8-game SEC schedules:

MISSOURI
    Sept. 8: GEORGIA
    Sept. 22: at South Carolina
    Oct. 6: VANDERBILT
    Oct. 13: ALABAMA
    Oct. 27: KENTUCKY
    Nov. 3: at Florida
    Nov. 10: at Tennessee
    Nov. 24: at Texas A&M

TEXAS A&M
    Sept. 8: FLORIDA
    Sept. 29: vs. Arkansas
    Oct. 6: at Ole Miss
    Oct. 20: LSU
    Oct. 27: at Auburn
    Nov. 3: at Mississippi State
    Nov. 10: at Alabama
    Nov. 24: MISSOURI

Missouri is in the East, as expected. The Tigers and Aggies will play a "rivalry" game on Thanksgiving weekend.

The full league schedule is available here:

http://bit.ly/tOd28i

Thoughts?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Looks like a rough go for Mizzou and an uphill battle to .500, but at least they get Georgia during the Dawgs' traditional season-opening two-game suckfest.

3. I'm surprised to realize that the only automatic blowouts on A&M's schedule are vs. LSU and at Alabama. The rest are at least winnable.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Georgia avoids playing Alabama, LSU or Arkansas again. For, I think, the third consecutive season. Richt should buy a lotto ticket today too.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Mizzou plays at aTm for the third year in a row. Ouch.

That said, with the improvement in Franklin, facing UGA early, and the spotty future of UT and travelling to Gainesville in cooler weather, I don't it's completely out of the realm of possibility that the Tigers go 7-1. Especially if the Tiger team that played in the Independence Bowl shows up every weekend.

Injuries could be the key, though, as Pinkel's squad will still have B12 depth.

6. prhack

prhack Member

Actually, this will be the second straight season the Bulldogs have missed the current Big 3 from the West. Under the previous rotation, they last played Alabama in 2007 and 2008, LSU in 2008 and 2009 and Arkansas in 2009 and 2010. Alabama was scheduled to come back on in 2012, but that road game was replaced by the trip to Missouri. Georgia is currently in the middle of it's two-game rotation with Ole Miss and will keep that game; otherwise, the Bulldogs would have had only two conference games at home next season. Under the new schedule, they will play three SEC games in Athens with a fourth "home" date in Jacksonville.

The new schedule also moves South Carolina, Georgia's SEC opener every season since 1992, back to October.

7. I agree to an extent, but remember that A&M has a magical tradition of shitting the bed, especially in the last three years and especially against Arkansas

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

FLORIDA
    Sept. 8: at Texas A&M
    Sept. 15: at Tennessee
    Sept. 22: KENTUCKY
    Oct. 6: LSU
    Oct. 13: at Vanderbilt
    Oct. 20: SOUTH CAROLINA
    Oct. 27: vs. Georgia (Jacksonville)
    Nov. 3: MISSOURI

Has UF ever played a regular season game in the state of Texas? The last OOC game outside the state of Florida was Syracuse in 1992.

Does Florida win more than two conference games?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder how hot that seat gets if UF opens SEC play 0-2...

10. prhack

prhack Member

I'm interested to see whether the SEC eventually goes to a nine-game conference schedule to allow for a faster rotation of non-division opponents. In the past, teams have had one permanent rival from the other division and two other rotating games, guaranteeing that you had fairly routine matchups between every team on both sides (two years on, three years off, I believe). With just one rotating game, teams will play one home-and-home every 12 years. Not a big fan of that.

11. doctorx

doctorx Member

Opened 0-10-1 season of 1979 at Houston.

12. prhack

prhack Member

Very hot, I'd imagine. Interesting to note that the game in Knoxville is UT's conference opener. Dooley could cool off his own seat considerably with a win, even if Florida under Muschamp isn't the Florida of old.

Draft saved Draft deleted