1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC rejects playoff plan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rockbottom, Jun 1, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

Too bad. I think a playoff is what college football fans really want.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Florida prez Bernie Machen went into the meeting talking about his big stones and his playoff push. He came out of the meetings with raisins and standing in the party line. Way to hold to your convictions, pal.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nope... Rules of Goff is right; go back to the old system, tie in conference champs and let the others cut their own deals.

4. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I agree. There were some great New Year's Days back then [Miami over Nebraska in '84, Notre Dame over Texas in '78, etc., plus all the other games playing out on those days] with wacky shit going on, as opposed to nowadays, where the BCS title game is usually a yawner because they play it so late after the regular season.

5. Yes. I love how the presidents approved a 12th game (in the case of conferences with conference championship games), then a 12th game for everybody (and a 13th for teams in conference title games), then said, "Whoa, we can't make the season longer by adding a playoff!" Not to mention how they say they don't want the sport to spill over into a second semester. Wait, doesn't basketball do that?

And somehow, the other levels of football manage to have a playoff and not lose their academic accreditation.

Draft saved Draft deleted