1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC rejects playoff plan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rockbottom, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Just saw this ... ;)

http://www.tidesports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070601/NEWS/70601003/1011

rb

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So E. Gordon (Golly) Gee got his way... interesting

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And for your last official act as a newbie, RB, fetch me a beer.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Bleaux me.

rb

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I wonder if Vandy and the other SEC schools rejected the proposal because it would split the money with all D I-A football schools and not just the BCS conferences?

Maybe that's the academics Chancellor Gee's talking about.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I doubt that's Golly Gee's rationale, but I could see others thinking like that...

7. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

This was always bound to end -- at least for the forseeable future -- with a "plus one."

It's the only solution palatable to all parties involved, and it accomplishes what the playoff pushers want to see.

My view: College football is the ultimate 12-week playoff as it is. If you lose two out of 12 games, can you really claim that you deserve a shot at a championship? I think in most years, it will be very easy to pick the 1 and 2 teams that deserve to be in the semifinals. Picking 3 and 4 will sometimes be obvious, sometimes it will be a major argument. The question will be, who does the picking and how is it done?

8. No playoff. Scratch the BCS. Go back to the pre-1994 days with the bowls, etc.

Look, people, there's nothing wrong with crowning two champions. Come to peace with it.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A salient point... That way, Bama's bound to win three or four more this year,...

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Depends on each teams' schedule.
    Did Boise have as tough of a sked as Oklahoma or Auburn or Florida last season?
    Did Utah have a tough one?

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

When the D-IA schools (or whatever stupid thing they want to call themselves now) convince every other sport in the NCAA, or hell, even just the other divisions of football, that a playoff is exactly the wrong thing to do, I'll buy that piece of crap train of thought.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Who cares what the Securities and Exchange Commission says about this?

Draft saved Draft deleted