1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC media and the double standard

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jul 27, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

You go get them Orville. We're all waiting breathlessly to find out who those three evil writers were who left Tim fucking Tebow off a useless preseason ballot.
    And we wonder why people are sick of the Tebow hype and the SEC fanbois posing as writers.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At best it's a note.

3. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

How does the SEC handle the media vote? I covered the ACC media days a few times, and they pretty much handed ballots out to anyone who was there, without regards to how many each outlet received. The post-season teams were voted on only by a select group of writers ...

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Hell just froze over. Spnited and I agree. Somebody got that road sign pic handy?

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

OK, so he threw his DOFO under the bus. His name is still on the ballot.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My understanding was that 64 media members voted.
    And I couched this whole thing in it really isn't that important but I was wondering ...

The point was is it a double standard in terms of coverage and I'd think that the answer is yes.

Back to the annual tradition of spnited bashing the SEC, nothing new here. I look forward to his "why Doc Blanchard is the best running back I've ever seen play" story.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Spurrier has worked with Speronis dating back to his time at Florida. If you're the SID or the person who gets blamed in all this by the HBC, you just grin and take your lumps. Any writer with a clue knows the truth.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Tebow may claim to be a virgin but he gets a lot of BJs from JayFarrar and friends.

9. There were 64 media votes among more than 900 credentialed media. So unless Charles Bloom from the SEC releases the votes, it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

The better story (maybe of the inside baseball variety) is how few people vote. They make ballots available to anyone, but too many people, especially newspaper people, either don't care enough to vote, or don't have the time.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why is who votes or doesn't vote for a meaningless preseason all-league team worthy of a story?

11. mb

mb Active Member

Because you've got a hotel busting at the seams with journalists and "journalists" and not one of them has found a damn story. As soon as one of them does, it spreads like wildfire.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

I thought there were all kinds of great stories coming out of these useless PR exercises ... like the Tebow virgin nonsense.

Draft saved Draft deleted