1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC college towns ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ledbetter, Sep 7, 2006.

1. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

They actually closed the Oxford Steak Company and moved it north of town and renamed it to something like 'Palmer Adams' it's next door to Oxford Floral just across North Lamar from the Downtown Inn.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I haven't been back there in a while, but the last time I was in the alley -- which was in the spring -- it was still there.

3. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

If you're in Knoxville and you don't hit Ye Old Steak House ... you're beyond foolish.

Passy's Places, mostly visited when I was a large man:
    Tennessee: See above, though Calhoun's pretzels are good.
    Florida: Nada. Grandy's, the chain, at least has good biscuits.
    Vanderbilt: Old Spaghetti Factory and a satay grill called "Rumba". Personal reasons.
    Georgia: Weaver D's mac-and-cheese
    Kentucky: Country Fried Ho at Tolly-Ho.
    Alabama: NOT the Hong Kong Super Buffet
    Auburn: Grilled Tenders at Buffalo Connection work for me.
    LSU: Some place Guilbeau recommended. Hell if I know what it was.
    Miss State: Halftime ice cream, strawberry?
    Arkansas: I guess Doe's, though I saw a fellow beat writer gnaw on a bone there and it ruined the whole experience forever. I mean, seriously. Dude was gnawing like a friggin mountain lion.
    Ole Miss: I always stay in Tupelo. Cool italian resty next to the AmeriHost, room 201. That's me.
    USC: Never been.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The restaurant in Tupelo is Vanelli's. Pretty good joint, although Mrs. tbf doesn't like it. On the weekends, they normally have a comedian.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Well, there is a Mellow Mushroom there. Eat there every time I'm in town -- although my favorite waitress quit.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Dreamland in Tuscaloosa is TOP notch.

Somewhere near Knoxville, and maybe it's a chain around there, I don't know.. is a place called Logan's. Best piece of chicken I ever ate. Grilled, with big, thick sear marks, with some sort of light parmesean sauce over a bed of rice... good lord, it was tasty.

I've been to Athens the most, but damned if I know where I've eaten there. Some Italian place downtown has great calzone.

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

that would be depalma's

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Peanut shells on the floor?

http://www.logansroadhouse.com/

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You can find some stuff there, but it all tastes like Chicken. :D

11. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Mellow Mushroom makes a helluva calzone, too.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

for some reason i always throw up mellow mushroom's calzone

also, i gathered it's depalma's because he said an italian place -- mellow mushroom is more of a pizza joint, where depalma's is an italian place. although i like depalma's pizza a lot more

Draft saved Draft deleted