1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC college towns ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ledbetter, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

... can you recommend your favorite places to eat?

I know there is an On the Road thread, but I'm working on a story about places to eat in the SEC and who would know better than the many SEC regulars that hang around here.

What I'm looking for is the must-visit places, as much for their character as their food, and the places to get a damn good meal.

I'm from Athens and went to school at Ole Miss, so I pretty much got those two covered. Any help you guys can throw my way would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What woul be your pick in Oxford? Ajax Diner?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh, to be in Starkville now that fall is here...

4. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

Ajax, yes.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think after Athens and Oxford, there's a pretty big drop as far as SEC Cities...

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

In Starkville, I always eat at Little Dooey. Great barbecue. I get either the pulled pork plate with two helpings of corn salad, or the large barbecue sandwich with hot sauce and slaw (slaw on the sandwich) and a side of waffle fries.

Herbstreit and Fowler made an indirect reference to the restaurant during last week's game. Fowler asked Herbstreit how many straight meals he'd eaten barbecue in Starkville. There are several pictures of Herbstreit on the walls there, some of him playing tennis with the owner. The walls are also covered with placemats colored by the patrons there. Lots of silly pig puns with good and not-so-good artwork. It's an old house that's got a winding dining room woven through it.

7. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of input I'm looking for.

8. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

One thing that struck me about Oxford was the lack of truly good BBQ. All the restaurants try to copy Memphis dry ribs and fail miserably.

A good sandwich at Lil Dooey is about as good of BBQ as you're going to find in either town. Never had the ribs there.

9. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

everyone talks about dreamland, and dreamland's great, but i gotta go with archibald's in tuscaloosa. get the half-and-half plate. half an order of ribs, half an order of sliced pork. oh, and get the small, unless you've got three people to feed

10. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Anyone got any Gainesville tips?

There's a good take-out burrito joint across the street from the Holiday Inn, with a Mellow Mushroom nearby, but I don't know of any other places. And I don't want to mention Mellow Mushroom because I want to keep this local.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

A fellow hack I trust tells me the best BBQ in Oxford is at a little gas station right at the top of the Lamar Street exit off Hwy. 6: B's Hickory Smoked Bar-B-Q at the Shell station.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I covered a Florida-Florida State game in the late 1990s and was stunned at what a shithole Gainesville is.

I ate at the Swamp. It was OK...

Draft saved Draft deleted