1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle Times "Victory & Ruins" package

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigSleeper, Jan 27, 2008.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

it is brilliant. and given recent college football history, anybody who thinks this couldn't possibly happen has his head pretty far up his posterior. hell, i can make the argument that pro sports are more clean than college. at least the pros have something to lose. colleges and law enforcement have made i perfectly clear over the years at college after college that if you're an athlete, you pretty much get a free pass.

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

This thing concludes tomorrow. Maybe this will be part of it. If not, I agree ... big hole in the series.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Case in point, I'm just floored at the level of sociopathy in this program and I can only imagine it's the case everywhere. Including my alma mater. A thinking person MUST examine why he or she is a fan after reading this stuff.

Yes, I did sort of know it was going on beforehand but this level of depravity and complicity by the university (did I just sound like Jesse Jackson?) is just unreal.

4. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

If you haven't, do yourselves a favor and read the reader comments.

This one, in particular, makes me glad I don't cover college sports. Apparently, being anally raped in an alley is a "predicament":

Seattle

5. statrat

statrat Member

On one hand the reader comments crack my up because they are so insane, yet on the other, they just make me very, very sad.

6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

The reporting and ethical decision-making that went into the Curtis Williams piece alone is worth an entire seminar at Poynter. I'd pay whatever price to attend. I can't imagine the process of researching and reporting a story that would paint an unsavory portrait of a dead amateur athlete beloved by his community.

The irony? If Washington had forced Williams to pay for his sins, he'd likely be alive. . .

7. Fisch

Fisch Member

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

two thoughts: should the ncaa really attempt to take the place of absent parents?

and: "To those that question, Curt was a wonderful man, athlete, husband, and father ... when he wanted to be. Other times he wasn't." ... OK, so he was a mega dick. good enough.

i'm a fairly liberal guy, but, fuck. at some point in time, some folks, just prove themselves to be pieces of shit time and time and time again. maybe admitting the truth is too much for family members.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Of course it makes you wonder who was asleep at the switch at that sports desk in 2000.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yep...having a beer, while underaged (a beer that might have been spiked with a date-rape drug) is punishable by getting pounded in the ass.
    That's the Seattle Way.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah ... Ted Bundy and Charles Manson were good ... except when they werent.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

when i was 14, i had this little 45-pound mother fucker of a blue heeler, his name was otis ... [​IMG]

i loved the dog that looked a lot like the above-pictured pooch, too ... but i knew he pretty much was a dealer of death to the rest of the world. he moved on to chase bunnies in heaven. i understood.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted