1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle Times "Victory & Ruins" package

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigSleeper, Jan 27, 2008.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

You mean less than two weeks before signing day? Hell yes. Give 'em hell, SeaTimes.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Uh, yes.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be Huskies.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's sad to read some of the reader comments on the stories.

Beer and circus, baby. Just keep us entertained.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Pabst et circenses.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'm certain Tyrone will expand is already liberal media access policy to Washington players after this series. ;D

Interesting enough (or not), the three other NW Pac-10 programs, who have generally been kicking the Huskies' asses for the past five years, have practices that are open virtually all the time to pretty much anybody, and give very free access to players Monday through Thursday.

Jeramy Stevens, a lowlife? Who would have ever guessed? Lots of lawyers in Westwood rubbing their hands together in anticipation of business to come under Slick Rick.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you have to be kidding me.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm guessing this is much worse for ucla.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, I think the series makes Tyrone's regime look pretty good by comparison. Not in W-L record, but on the basis of "percentage of depraved sociopaths/violent criminal thugs on the roster."

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I agree with Tom, Simon. You're better than that.

A lot of people are frustrated with the lack of on-field success Washington has had in recent years. They want to win, to return to the glory days, and some of them don't care about the cost. All they remember is how much fun it was to win. The Times is doing a public service by reminding people that those victories came with a price, and that price just may have been the university's integrity. As to your point about the victim(s), I respectfully disagree. Bad memories? Aside from the fact that it seems to me, from reading the story, that he woman (or at the very least, her friends) participated in interviews with the Times, wouldn't it be worse for people to go the rest of your life thinking that Jerrrrrramy Stevens was a decent guy who got wrongfully accused by a "football groupie?"

Also, how much equally bad shit was going on at Colorado that we don't even know about under the Bufs trifecta of McCartney-Neuheisel-Barnett besides the mess that happened with recruits getting to sleep by co-eds on recruiting trips (and when they didn't get to sleep with them, they raped them)?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I still don't understand how the 2000 season is relevant in 2008.

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Many of the legal officials who were complicit in this still are in office now. Again, this is only about football because the guys getting the special treatment were football players. The greater issue was and is that people in power in King County -- elected people -- looked the other way while people known to be felons played football for the University of Washington.

Draft saved Draft deleted