1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle Times or Seattle P-I?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blandcanyon, Aug 7, 2006.

1. blandcanyon

blandcanyon Guest

I was up there not long ago. Strengths, weaknesses? Survey says?

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

P-I's major weakness is it probably will no longer exist in about two years.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The savings on newsprint alone would be huge, though.

4. blandcanyon

blandcanyon Guest

The Blethen Family head comes off very shady and deceptive the past few years with all the creative accounting it looks like they're doing.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

times owners are a bunch of (alleged) shitbags and own the second-best newspaper in seattle ... ok, what the fuck do i know about the rest of the paper? let me revise: times owners are a bunch of (alleged) shitbags and own the second-best sports section in seattle.

i feel confident with that post ... now.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

As a reader ... I'll take the P-I, because I'm an Art Thiel and Jim Moore fanboy.

As an employee, I'll take the Times, as papers that exist usually pay better than those that don't.

7. mose

mose Member

As a whole I'd say the Times has a superior staff of writers, but the PI has better columnists.

8. area313code

area313code Member

The Seattle Times has a good stable of writers, has a ton of space in the section and spends money. Granted, Blethen is a nut and that paper is only bleeding money and using that space because it needs to show a loss. Or that's the prevailing skinny anyway. The PI easily has the best columnist in the market (Art Thiel) and does some great work, but you do have to wonder how that JOA is going to work itself out. I take both papers when I'm in the area. Have a condo there. Not sure which is best day to day, but I like the special sections of the Times. Those are thick-a-- sections. Reminds you of the good ol' days when everyone used to do special sections right.

By the way if we're talking best paper in that region, I'd take The Oregonian and its pile of Pulitzers. Can anyone else figure out why nobody has hired Jack Hart, that guru writing coach there who is behind all those big projects, away from The Oregonian??

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

seattle, seattle, tacoma and quite possibly olympia are better than the oregonian you fucking rookie.

clue up.

10. 85bears

85bears Member

Will the Times keep any P-I people once the paper folds? Or is everyone out of a job?

Any chance at all that the P-I survives?

11. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Tom, you're an angry, angry man ...

Agree though that, in sports, the Oregonian is a step behind its northern brethren, which might have to do with the fact that the Seattle sports scene is just a bit more active than that of Portland. In news, however, the Oregonian is pretty damn solid, hence the Pulitzers. And weren't you just calling the Trib a "piece of shit" a few weeks ago?

12. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I enjoy reading Art Theil in the P-I. I sometimes enjoy reading Jim Moore in the P-I.

However, the Seattle Times has a better sports section front to back than does the P-I. Its columnists are very good; its beat writers are very good; the breadth of its coverage is very good.

It would be a good thing if both papers continued to exist; but if I had to choose one paper over the other, I'd take the Times by a clear margin.

Draft saved Draft deleted