1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle-PI announcement to come next week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Mar 11, 2009.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Or stockpile them so we'll have somewhere to live.

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I am laughing, but only so I don't cry.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    P-I staffers engage in prudent use of the Hearst Corporation's cardboard boxes.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Holy shit, batman, that made me laugh really hard. Thanks.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ouch...

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Glad I could make you smile during a tough time, AB.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

They need to save some boxes for San Francisco.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

There's every indication that Seattle could be the doomsday scenario that many have been predicting. The Seattle times is heavily in debt and controlled by the Blethen family, which doesn't have deep coroporate pockets. Many may recall that last week, publisher Frank Blethen appealed to state lawmakers for a tax break for newspapers.
    If the P-I goes, there's a chance the Times could soon follow.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

It's not a question of if, dripster.

And Blethen wasn't the only newspaper pub that went. Tacoma's was there, as were a couple others. Not to say it looks any less bleak, but Seattle isn't the only one asking for help from the WA House ... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29637199/

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I say "If" in a supportive way. I don't want to see the P-I fold so I'm holding out hope that it doesn't.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It's done:

Dear Colleague:

Today we announce the final issue of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and the beginning of our new standalone digital news and information business, seattlepi.com.

Our colleagues in Seattle did an exceptional job in the midst of a very difficult economy and the changing dynamics of the newspaper industry to put out an outstanding product. The P-I won two Pulitzer Prizes in recent years, and just last month, was honored with a Polk Award. As we transition from newsprint to digital, we want to thank all the talented colleagues who are departing the organization. We wish all of them the best in their future endeavors.

12. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Today as in, the same amount of official warning the Rocky had? So Tuesday's edition will the be the final one?

And I just received an e-mail from a friend in Arizona reminding me that this Saturday is the final edition of the Tucson Citizen (can't remember if that date already was posted on here somewhere).

Fuckin' dominoes are falling boys.

Draft saved Draft deleted