1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Season 4 of Breaking Bad

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SF_Express, Jul 6, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

2. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Have not read the Times story, but I have watched all 33 episodes with Mrs. Bobcat. A fantastic show, arguably the top scripted show on television. The writing is wonderful and even, the characters develop slowly (unlike the last season or so of Mad Men, which, though also excellent, has devolved some into a soap opera) and the evolution of Walter White, even knowing it's fiction, is unnerving to watch.

Two quick stories.

The first: Last year, Mrs. Bobcat and I went out for our runs a little late one Sunday. By the time we finished and cooked dinner, Breaking Bad was about to start. So we sat down on the couch and watched the whole episode. This was either the season finale or the penultimate episode and the last scene was just wrenching. I was still wearing my heart rate monitor from my run. My resting heart rate is between 54 and 58. At the end of that scene, it was 102.

The second: When I was in high school, our track team traveled to Florida every year to train during spring break. One night during the trip, we went out to the movies. My coach and I were the only ones who opted for In The Bedroom, a much-forgotten movie, but a good movie. One of the last scenes involves some (eye-opening at 18) vigilante justice. Afterward, my coach turned to me and said, "That happens more than you would think. It happens in every state, in every city. It happens every day." That's what I think of when I think of Walter White. Is his story on the show out of the ordinary? Sure. But are there people out there doing similar things for themselves, for their families? I bet there are. That's what makes the show so chilling.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I told my daughter: The scene where Hank gets the cell call while sitting in his car that the twins are going to kill him in one minute is the most tense I have ever been over any TV or movie scene ever. Might even be the scene you're talking about, OHB.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

From the beginning of season three to the end of that episode (which was episode 7 or 8, I believe) was the best 1/2 season of television I've ever scene. It was so intense and well-done.

Also, my favorite character is Jesse. The actor does an amazing job with him and his character's growth and change from season to season has been great.

5. Orange Hat Bobcat

Credit to the show and the writers, SF, but that is the not the scene, actually. My heart rate scene involved Walter and Jesse in the Mexican immigrant neighborhood. They both do what they need to do.

But the cell phone scene ...

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have about 10 shows to watch to be caught up.

This is an amazing show. One of the best I've ever seen.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I caught up with this a few months ago. Instantly became one of my favorite shows. So cised for the new season.

Also, I dig the wife. Big time.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Best show on TV. The acting is unreal. I can't believe that Tim Freaking Watley from Seinfeld had those sorts of acting chops, but Bryan Cranston is amazing.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Been with the show since season 1, episode 1 and absolutely love it. The storytelling, both from the way the show is shot and how the actors sell their scenes, is incredible. The way the entire cast is able to tell a story in a scene without ever saying a word never ceases to amaze.
    The episode last season where Jesse is dealing with Jane's death comes to mind. Aaron Paul is in the episode for maybe five minutes total (broken up into several 30-90 second scenes) and never says a word, yet tells this heartbreaking story just by picking up the phone and calling her cellphone to hear the message and her voice. You know what's coming at the end, but by that time it just makes it even sadder because you've seen the character's pain.
    On top of that, you get a complete character arc as he goes through the grieving process and comes out on the other side a changed man. That, my friends, is how a show should be done.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It was the scene in the Mexican neighborhood (next to last episode of Season 3), and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had that reaction. I remember almost being winded after watching that.

11. Orange Hat Bobcat

You got it, Batman.

"Run."

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC is catching up...we're on episode 8 of season 3 so she'll be caught up when it starts up on the 17th.

Draft saved Draft deleted