1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sears, Kmart closing up to 120 stores

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I had to laugh at the thought of Target being called "upscale." Go to some of the Targets in Vegas and you will have a very different opinion.

Also, I went to Sears when I was looking for some new work shoes, the fucking service was awful. After waiting for nearly 30 minutes to get some help:
    Me: Do you have this in a 13?
    Saleswoman: Lemme check. (10 minutes pass) I have them in a 10.
    Me: That's not a 13.
    Saleswoman: A 10 won't fit?
    Me: Thanks for your time.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

But Target IS upscale compared to Walmart. Just about everything is. Except K-Mart.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Kmart actually bought Sears.

Via Wikipedia: Kmart, sometimes styled as "K-Mart," is a chain of discount stores headquartered in the United States. The chain acquired Sears in 2005, forming a new corporation under the name Sears Holdings Corporation

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Only time I have ever been in a Walmart was when my copy of NBA2K stopped working.

It was 1 a.m. and I needed a new copy.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Sears is closing?

Perhaps I can take out a loan and buy all the clothes I'll need for the next 40 or so years.

Their stuff never goes out of style!

6. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Probably a foolish strategy on Lambert's part:
    http://brontecapital.blogspot.com/2011/12/sears-holdings-liquidation-sale.html

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm surprised Kmart and Walmart doesn't make their employees do calisthenics. I've been to Walmart during morning meetings up front and it's a cult.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Unemployment is not at an all-time high. And for the vast majority of Americans, there is a choice. It's just that a whole lot of Americans will choose to spend $30 at a rathole than spend $31 at a relatively decent place.

9. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

There is a Kmart on the way home from my wife's office. The last two times I've picked her up and driven her home, she has wanted to stop to buy a couple of things. Both times she's been in the store for at least 45 minutes and come out cussing up a storm because there were only a couple of checkout lines open, the lines were long and no other lines opened up.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Exactly. Don't complain when you're not making any sacrifice to keep the "local" economy going.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Lampert's hedge fund had control of both stores. The merging had nothing to do with retail sales.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_47/b3909001_mz001.htm

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

$5 more? Try $42.50 more.

I can get a perfectly good shirt to play tennis in at Wal-Mart for $7.50.

Mom-and-pop tennis store has tennis shirts --- lots of 'em --- at $50-$60.

Draft saved Draft deleted