1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sean Taylor - RIP UPDATED

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hustle, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

From the guy who would have every extremity amputated with rusty cutlery before entertaining the notion of the electric chair being any sort of deterrent, we get this crapola.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Doubtful.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

So you're saying the NFL isn't a violent culture?

4. From a guy who's never pursued a coherent thought past the point where he gets distracted by his toes we get this crapola.
    Life is full of ironies.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

LeBatard says it's all your fault ... and draws the Favre comparison, too ...

http://www.miamiherald.com/1246/story/324931.html

6. IU90

IU90 Member

C'mon, FB, you're completely dismissive of Whitlock's arguments, yet you're quite willing to entertain one that blames the sport of football?

Both theories paint with an overly broad brush, but I'd say the one which points its finger at the influence of a corruptive culture that glamorizes self-destructive values hits closer to the truth than the one which blames a game.

The Marvin Harrisons, Warrick Dunns, Mannings, and Barber brothers of the football world don't find these problems; the Pacmans, Tanks, Lewises, and Vicks do. Whether you'll acknowledge it or not, there are some fairly obvious distinctions, in terms of the type of friends and cultural influences they surround themselves with, that tends to separate the players who find off-field trouble from those who don't. And the distinguishing factor ain't football.

Which, of course, is not to say that hip hop is inherently bad, or that all players who immerse themselves in its culture are prone to off-court trouble. Obviously that's not the case. But you can't deny that a pattern exists without being intentionally obtuse about this issue.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Fuck Danny. He's a taint licking apologist. I can't imagine anything he writes has a shred of credibility with anyone who isn't having his story read to him through the Plexiglas windows of a prison visiting room.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I wonder how much of this gossip Le Batard has engaged in on his radio show.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Oh. WE embarrass YOU. Now that's fucking priceless.

10. BBJones

BBJones Guest

So it's hip-hop's fault? I'm no fan of hip-hop, nor do I know much about it's message. But if I had to guess (and this is just a guess; I have no links or research), it would be that white kids buy more of that stuff than black kids. When will they start killing people?

The root of the Wild West nature in the black community, at least as purported by people like Whitlock and his ridiculous "Black KKK" notion, I would guess, stems from a lack of family structure.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Yeah ... certainly a touch of irony there, eh?

Draft saved Draft deleted