1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sean Penn interviews El Chapo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 9, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Andrew Seaman, of the Society of Professional Journalists, takes RS to task:

The Rolling Stone story cautions that “an understanding was brokered with the subject that this piece would be submitted for the subject’s approval before publication. The subject did not ask for any changes.”

Allowing any source control over a story’s content is inexcusable. The practice of pre-approval discredits the entire story – whether the subject requests changes or not. The writer, who in this case is an actor and activist, may write the story in a more favorable light and omit unflattering facts in an attempt to not to be rejected.

Rolling Stone Gathers No Accolades

bigpern23 and Inky_Wretch like this.
  2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

3. YankeeFan

I caught part of CNN's Reliable Sources this morning, and they had Jeffrey Toobin on their panel discussing the Sean Penn story.

He of course criticized RS for giving el Chapo approval of the stories content.

He mentioned twice that there is this rare practice known as "quote approval" where a journalist will give a source/subject final approval of a given quote used in the story/article.

He acted like this was a compromise that journalist sometimes had to make, and while I forget the exact wording, he implied that it was not standard practice.

Un, Jeffrey, you cannot get a White House official to grant an on the record interview without granting quote approval. The practice is widespread in Washington, and it's gaining traction elsewhere.

What Rolling Stone did is just one step beyond what is already happening all over the place.

4. YankeeFan

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's more than one step beyond.

6. YankeeFan

Two?

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd say four or five.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have a hard time mustering angst for this considering some of the structural ethical lapses that have crept into the industry under the guise of "efficiency, sponsored content, or restructuring." Does the industry as a whole even have the right to navel gaze anymore? And it helped capture El Chapo so I'm good.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It was a role Penn was born to play. It'll be in Cannes first and pimped out here for late fall '17.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I agree. I've read a bit about the interview but I assumed from his standpoint it was an afterthought during research for some film project. Dennis Hopper was quoted as believing Penn needs to see things first hand. Penn says he wants to be a positive force and my impression is his heart is in the right place, or at least fairly close, but he's a bit of an emotional man-child who isn't always quite sure how to go about it. With that said, I'd probably go see the movie in a heartbeat.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted