1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sean Payton Suspended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That would require me to read King's SI article. Or anything related to Peter King.
    The next thing I will read about Peter King is his obituary.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So multiple late-round picks are more damaging to a franchise than two second-rounders? Depends on how many, I suppose, but second round picks are pretty valuable.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Interesting nugget from that link:

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Full NFL report:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/03/full_release_from_the_nfl_on_s.html

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Schefter tweeted that Payton's out 7 million.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The NFL has to worry that other teams were doing this and the Saints know about it. If Goodell had to suspend five or six coaches for an entire season, he has a nightmarish scenario.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing that Payton got the full season because Goodell either thinks he lied to him or isn't sufficiently sorry.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Eureka.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm sure every other NFL team has had something like this before, Brian, but I'm also sure almost all of them were player pools with no explicit input from coaches. It's the organizational nature of this system that made it noteworthy.
    Don't worry fans, the NFL will still produce the same volume of future crippled and brain-damaged 50-year olds it has in all previous seasons.

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

What's the appeal process (if anything) for this? With a player suspension, the appeal would be taken on by the NFLPA. Is there any appeal process in place for suspensions leveled against a coach/team? I'm wondering if Payton might want to challenge this in court if there isn't a formal appeal process. This could turn into months of court filings, injunctions and general headaches for the league.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

There is no way Gregg Williams returns to coaching in the NFL.

Draft saved Draft deleted