1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sean Payton moves to Dallas, will commute to New Orleans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Kermit McManus

Kermit McManus New Member

Careful - thats enough info for Bigg Greg to hunt you down like a Hound.

He likes to Stalk his readers.

2. swamp trash

swamp trash Guest

I am shaking in my boots.

Really.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Awesome

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Don't worry, apparently the MO isn't to hunt you down, but to ridicule you in a column.

To me, this column seems like somebody taking a contrarian stance. New Orleans has been America's favorite little comeback city, so he sees this story as a chance to go against that grain. I think for some, the MO is to look for conventional wisdom, take some shots at that conventional wisdom and stir things up a little. This column seems more about that to me.

If it was about more than pushing buttons, I'm sure it might have noticed that this is not the first coach in New Orleans to own a home outside of the metro area. Happens all the time all over the league. So what was unique about this situation? The answer has nothing to do with Katrina and everything to do with the persistent rumors of Payton taking a job with Dallas (not just a head coach job...there are also rumors that he's a candidate to take GM chores when JJ is ready to give them up). You throw in Werder's misreporting that he'd commute from Dallas -- which is a nine-hour drive or a 75-minute flight. Who the hell does that? -- and you get fans adding the rumors to the misreporting and it's no wonder this story grew legs. Add in the Saints feisty relationship with Dallas -- there are lots of Cowboys fans in Louisiana, especially in North Louisiana, and it irks Saints fans -- and you add more fuel to the fire.

Having said all that, it's still a bit of an unreasonable fan reaction -- I mean, if he was leaving for Dallas, wouldn't he take a job, then move? -- but it's certainly more than just a city trying to cash in sympathy chips. Heck, I don't think sympathy has much to do with it at all.

5. swamp trash

swamp trash Guest

I gathered as much and he is welcome to do so. Matter of fact, I hope he does.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Here's hoping Gregg Doyel (Google Alert) channels his inner Jeff Pearlman and pummels this turd. :D

7. swamp trash

swamp trash Guest

Why?

Because I dare believe that so-called "professional" journalists should seek a higher standard? That we should try NOT to appeal to the lowest common denominator to get a few web hits?

The fact that you or anyone else is even thinking about defending this kind of hack garbage says a whole lot about the state of our business these days, and I'm embarrassed for you for not knowing any better.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If this was the first time you read Doyle, how would you know how he responds to his hate mail?

Takes a lot to make Doyle into a sympathetic figure around here, congrats on the achievement.

9. swamp trash

swamp trash Guest

Because on the right side of his drivel column there is a link to his weekly "hate mail" feature.

I am over this discussion, at any rate; I can't believe there are people here who think this kind of "writing" is acceptable. Probably a good sign that it's time for me to get out of the business.

10. Mizzougrad96

Look, if Gregg Doyel (Google alert) is not your cup of tea, that's understandable. I'm a fan of his work. You, clearly are not.

Your use of the word "acceptable" has me puzzled. If you don't like his opinion or his style of writing, that's fine.

What's unacceptable about it?

11. printdust

printdust New Member

Randy Galloway reports in, thinks of it as a drunken fantasy, but yet a good fantasy.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/02/10/2840578/move-to-westlake-fuels-sean-payton.html

12. Mizzougrad96

I love this line from Galloway.

Yes, the head coach of the beloved Saints is moving here with his family, and they will homestead in Westlake, a local place I've never been because I don't have the gate code and can't fit the dress code.

Draft saved Draft deleted