1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sean Payton moves to Dallas, will commute to New Orleans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's a damn good one. Quickly becoming one of the most interesting reads out there.

2. swamp trash

swamp trash Guest

Oh please, any idiot can troll message boards and throw out petty responses to his "hate mail." It's like reading something from Bleacher Report.

Again, I say, embarrassing.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Based on your handle, you're probably from Florida and most Florida people don't seem to be big Doyel fans because he's been so critical of his alma mater.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

4. swamp trash

swamp trash Guest

I'm from Indiana actually...and this is the first time I've ever read anything this jerk has written.

It's also the last time I will read anything this jerk has written.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

no fan of doyel, but agreed. when you're right.

and i'm not just sayin' that because of the crush i've had on beth payton since his giants' days (picture not close to portraying her beauty). the education and happiness of your kids trumps all.

6. swamp trash

swamp trash Guest

His opinion is not wrong.

But his approach is bush league. Using this as an excuse to bring up Katrina is downright disgusting.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a good point. New Orleans sucked for families long before 2005.

8. swamp trash

swamp trash Guest

Yes, it has. It is not the kind of place I would choose to raise my family, either.

I'm sure the people of New Orleans are heartbroken to no longer have the "sympathy" of a petty column writer with delusions of grandeur.

The funny thing is that among all this "Katrina backlash" of late, the only time I ever seen Katrina mentioned is by self-superior national sportswriters who have the audacity to use one of the worst natural disasters in this country's history as a talking point for a stupid football game.

Or to point and say "look how much better we are than those people."

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's not like the Payton kids were attending public school in the Ninth Ward.

This likely has little to do with educational opportunities for his kids. After all, they didn't buy a house in Highland Park.

10. Not that it matters at all, but I was born and raised in New Orleans (lived there through Katrina), and I have no problem with Doyel's piece or the way he talked about Katrina. In fact, I thought he was pretty respectful throughout. And there have been plenty of people who have mentioned Katrina in completely the opposite light.

I will say that I think it's very difficult for anyone who didn't live in New Orleans long before, during and after Katrina to really understand how the people of New Orleans feel at all. I haven't come across any sentiment that closely resembles the pride and attachment New Orleanians who went through Katrina feel for the city. People just don't get it, there's no other way to explain it.

So while I actually agree with Doyel's opinion, I can also see where a lot of these fans are coming from and why they feel hurt.

11. greggdoyel

greggdoyel Member

Thomas, you're a fine American and a wonderful judge of writing. Swamp Thing, you may be from Indiana but you work now in the southern Mississippi/Louisiana area. And we both know it. Your complaints of my story sound very much like the emails I'm getting from that area. Did you write me? Either way, you said that was the last thing of mine you'd read. And I guarantee you just read this.

Gotcha.

12. swamp trash

swamp trash Guest

I live in Anderson, Indiana and work in nearby Kokomo. A simple ISP check can confirm that. And I did not write you.

As a journalist, I am offended by you. And as a human being, I pity you.

No, go run and write a little column about that.

Draft saved Draft deleted