1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sean Payton in another media dust-up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Nov 1, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20101031/SPORTS0402/10310307/1001/SPORTS

Apparently, Sean Payton is okay with Jay Glazer breaking Saints injury news. But no one else is allowed to ask him about it.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It read like a lot of whining to me.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah. Payton is a cry-baby.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was worth linking? Seriously? Who posted--oh.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Payton is a big time cry baby.

I got a nasty phone call from Payton during his first year as HC in New Orleans over a throwaway line in a feature I'd written early in the week.

I was at lunch with my wife and my phone rang and it's some PR flunky who didn't even introduce himself and just said, "Hold for Sean Payton."

He then bitches me out for about five minutes over the story and I just kind of sat there and absorbed it. He wasn't vulgar and lord knows I've gotten ass chewings from coaches that were a thousand times worse, it just surprised me at how whiny it was.

I told the story at the combine the following year and very quickly found out that Payton makes that phone call at least once a week to whichever out of town writer pissed him off the most.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Yes, Payton was whining, but this columnist was much worse.

7. That column was pretty damn good until the end, when he basically ruined the entire piece's effect with a few smarmy lines. Too bad, because too many readers will only remember that.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Glenn is a really good guy and a good writer, but that was not his best work.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's twue, it's twue.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Payton should take a Vicodin to relax.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

NFL coach is a dickbag to the media. Shocking. Stop the presses.

And the line how the media always wins? Uhh, no. Payton won the Super Bowl and can retire off corporate speeches the rest of his life. Writers will die penniless. Sometimes the assholes win. Most of the time, actually. Wah.

Draft saved Draft deleted