1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE - Victorville, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ColbertNation, Jul 3, 2007.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=797656

Company: Daily Press
    Position: Sports Editor to lead tallented staff
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $35,000 to $40,000
    Ad Expires: August 6, 2007
    Job ID: 797656

Description:
    The Daily Press, a 32,000-circulation paper in Victorville, has an immediate opening for a sports editor to manage a staff of four. BA degree, knowledge of InDesign and 3-5 years experience desired. We cover a minor league baseball team, a junior college, 17 high schools and some national motor sports events. Victorville is 90 miles northeast of Los Angeles. We have a young, energetic staff that is open to new ideas and ways of attacking stories. Pre-employment drug test. Send resume, references, salary history/requirements, 4 clips and cover letter describing your vision of a strong community sports section to Don Holland, Editor, Daily Press, PO Box 1389, Victorville, CA 92393 or e-mail: DHolland@VVDailyPress.com. www.VVDailyPress.com. EOE.

It would seem they also need some copy editors, as well. Not that I'm questioning the tallent of the sports staff itself.

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

They had an ad a couple months ago for another opening and there was a typo in there. Must be a trend.

On another note, I wonder where Tim, the current SE, is off to. He's always seemed like a nice guy when I've talked to him.

This paper is one of the few smaller ones not on a bare-bones staff, although VV isn't the best of places.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

But its only a half-hour from Tahoe. And they do have a lot of tallent on their staff.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the vick grows hungry ... and it will underpay.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

It's actually closer to Vegas than Tahoe. My sister-in-law lives out there.
    If your system can't handle High Desert heat, avoid.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Half hour from Tahoe? It's a half hour from Barstow. Not quite Tahoe.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Of course. Half hour to Barstow, but 15 minutes to Tahoe. :D

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. And as for the heat, I read it's supposed to be 110-115 there this week.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

Set your clocks by the warm wind stirring things up each afternoon about 1 or so.

10. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Member

i was somewhere near victorville when the drugs began to take hold... :eek:

11. Jim Rockford

Jim Rockford Member

101 degrees at 12 noon according to the weather service. Not the place to be in California.

12. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

is that any worse than 95 degrees and 80 percent humidity in the deep south?

Draft saved Draft deleted