1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE to SID - Drew Wilson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A friend of mine is doing what I did - Drew Wilson, the fine young SE in Danville, Va., and an active member here - is resigning his position to become SID at Averett. The school is located in Danville.

This thrills and saddens me. Glad my new profession is getting such an exceptional talent. Sad because newspapers, which I still love, are losing another one. Drew is really good. He was a prime candidate for a deputy slot on my old staff until the job was frozen.

Averett's gain.
    Danville's loss.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Drewgie Wilson, SID?

It just doesn't have the same ring.

Congrats on escaping MG though, Drew. Get up here and I'll buy you a beer or six.

3. Averett has sports?
    Football?

I thought it was a (airplane) pilots school? I met a few guys from Averett a few years ago and they were both there to become airline pilots.
    I knew they had some sports, but anything of note?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

http://www.averett.edu/athletics/athletics.php

5. Moderator1

Football, I think, is a fairly recent addition.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was looking at that website...

Is that the same Charles Harris that was at Arizona State?

Ho Lee Sheeeet

7. Moderator1

May be - he has family in this area and may have chosen to settle down there.

Funny story about him with the Charlottesville paper. Years ago, he was a candidate for the AD job at UVA. They found out he was flying into Richmond about the time the hire was to be announced. So they sent a reporter to the airport. Went up to him as he got off the plane and he told them, no, he was flying in to visit his mother. Someone else got the job. They knew who the other candidate was and got the scoop that way.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It is the Harris.

I guess hiring Bill Frieder was not the best career move.

Although, working for a small college in a nice town is not too bad of a way to spend your life. Actually, it sounds really nice.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Congrats to Drew. Even though he talked about getting out last time we spoke I never really believed I'd last longer in this business than him.

The football and basketball coaches at Averett are both nice guys and good coaches and whoever replaces Drew will have some good PR people to work with between Drew and Mike Smith at the track in Martinsville.

10. Keystone

Keystone Member

I knew something was in the works with Drew. He gets the benefit of a new job without having to relocate. ;D

Congrats!

Yes, Averett has football. I was there for the debut. Has it won any games yet? ;)

11. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Good people.
    Best of luck, Drew.

12. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Thank you for the kind words.

It was a really tough decision to leave the Register & Bee. I started stringing for them when I was a senior in high school. They gave me numerous opportunities when I was home on breaks from college and gave me my first job as a news designer. I owe them a lot. Not many higher ups would have trusted handing off the reins of the sports section to a 22-year-old less than a year after he graduated college.

I feel lucky that I was able to work with such talented people in sports there, from the writers that helped me develop (see current Lynchburg staffers) to the great group of guys I was able to convince to come to Dan Vegas. It took a few years after I became SE to get back up to a full four-person staff, but for the six or seven months we had four people, we did some amazing things.

Like many other papers, our resources have dried up thanks to hiring freezes and not filling positions. Heck, we haven't even had a photographer in five months! But that isn't why I chose to leave. As some of you know, I got married about a month ago. I wasn't necessarily looking to make a jump, but this fell right into my lap unexpectedly. Family is important, and the fact that I'll actually get to see my wife because of the better hours was a huge perk. I know I'll miss the newspaper a lot, but this opportunity was too good to pass up.

Averett has a few decent teams. Men's basketball has won the conference the last two seasons and gone to the NCAAs. Football shared the conference two years ago, but lost 22 seniors and finished 0-10 last year. A few other teams are on the rise.

Draft saved Draft deleted