1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE opening in Abilene, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Angola!, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I can't find a posting, but the Abilene Reporter News is in need of a sports editor. It used to be a really good paper and has gone downhill in the last year or two. Pretty nice town with three colleges and a mess of high schools in the coverage area. Not so great for those who are single, however, thanks to bars closing at midnight seven days a week. I think more Baptists live in Abilene than anywhere else in the world.

Edit: Bars stay open till midnight Sunday through Friday. You get a whopping 1 extra hour on Saturday nights.

2. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Actually, I think it's more Church of Christ residents with the CoC college there (Abilene Christian). So, you can drink, but you damn sure better not dance or play a guitar.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good point. McMurry University is United Methodist and Hardin-Simmons is Baptist.

4. m2spts

m2spts Member

But no BYU.
    That leaves me out.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Wasn't this one just open less than a year ago?

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Sorry, not a lot of Mormons in Texas, at least not in West Texas.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Wait'll the board gets a load of this.

Though it was never all that mighty, it sure has fallen. FAR and FAST.

FWIW, a pretty damn good section back when Al Pickett was running the show. Though I'm somewhat biased, having worked there for him.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'd agree with that. They no longer cover their 5A schools at in-town games. Inexcusable in my mind.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

redsox99, as a church of Christ member, I take exception to your post.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

The things I've heard from people here, and folks who used to work there, are damn-near unbelievable. I was pretty proud of the work we did there in the mid-90s and damn proud to be on the staff they had.

The things they've done to that section, though, are borderline criminal. They've turned that place into the equivalent of a high-school jounalism class, from everything I'm hearing. It actually makes me pretty sick, knowing what it used to be.

11. Bucksfan

Bucksfan New Member

Who owns the paper and why has it gone downhill so fast?

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Scripps owns it. As to why it has gone downhill, I don't know, I've just seen the result.

Draft saved Draft deleted