1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE in Winter Haven, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by melock, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Bump. Any news on whether this is officially closed or not?

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I don't think the Ledger/News Chief is in the hiring mode right now.

3. It was said on the Ledger thread that all News Chief open positions won't be filled.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

damn that's fucked up

5. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

What I'm about to write could be said about a lot of chain papers. If it's a job with a smaller New York Times Company-owned paper - run. I was SE for a paper for more than 12 years. I would never take a sick day since the sports staff consisted of myself and a sports writer, so that if one of us was sick, 100 percent of the burden fell to the guy still standing. I was fortunate that all the guys who worked under me followed my example and were all great guys to work with. In my final year there, the doctor made me take two weeks off because I was on my way to a heart attack and I was still in my 30s. My family has a history of heart problems, so naturally, I was quite concerned. I came back for a few more months and then the final straw finally forced me to quit. I admit that I'm a different person now and that I would likely handle things differently than when I was younger. I'm sure I was my own worst enemy. I'm told I still hold the record for longest dropkick of a plastic wastebasket in the newsroom.However, the following of type of situation you have to deal with: Even when times were "good" it was rarely acknowledged and we were always understaffed. One day the publisher had a staff meeting and told us the following: "We are having a good year. If it weren't for payroll, we'd be having a great year." IF IT WEREN'T FOR PAYROLL! If my paper was like others in the chain, you learn that to get ahead it's best to suck up to upper management and stabbing your fellow employees is a good way to move up at the paper and in the chain (Think of Mr. Spock with a goatee). My EE during the worst of times was heavily involved on the news side and if any politician or other important figure around the area was critical of the paper, it was taken as a compliment. If the same happened in sports, such as a parent complaining about "unfair coverage" the sports department was called on the carpet and had to bend over backward to accommodate them. Sports never had any backing from management. I love the business but hated my job. Health concerns (now my own, but that of an elderly widowed mother) has caused me to stay near home. I hope to get back in sports in the future but I know I don't want to be an editor. I would just love the opportunity to write, but with so many people out of jobs, I guess that will be next to impossible for a middle-aged guy.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Are you the outgoing SE?

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No.

This guy is: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1862397/

Draft saved Draft deleted