1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE in Grant County, Kentucky

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by runningman, Jan 5, 2007.

1. runningman

runningman New Member

On LCNI.com - anybody know anything about this place or company?
    Sports Editor

The Grant County News, a 5,500 circulation weekly in Williamstown, Kentucky, is seeking a sports editor. The position's primary responsibilities include coverage of the local sports scene, but also in sports features and taking sports stories beyond routine game coverage. The Grant County News is located in Williamstown, Kentucky, which lies 35 minutes south of Cincinnati and 45 minutes north of Lexington on I-75. Interested persons contact Jamie Baker-Nantz, Editor, at j.bakernantz@fuse.net.

2. Don't know much about the area, but can't be too bad if you're near Cincy. I know a few guys who have worked and/or work for LCNI and they seem to think company is very fair. Perfect for young guy wanting to get started.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

LCNI is perhaps the best of the "community" chains.

Can't say much about the Grant County sports scene, though. But I'm sure it's typical of most parts of Kentucky. One or two high schools in the coverage area. Sports dominated by preps and younger. Maybe some rec stuff on the side.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

It's actually a growing community. People getting away from the corwded Northern Kentucky/Cincy area. Football is relatively new to the high school.

I know there is Grant County High School, maybe Williamstown HS as well. I'm sure there will be lots of middle school, community sports to do.

It's a typical small town, but you're near Cincy, and not too far from Lexington. IMO, it's a good place for a young writer to get their start. Be prepared to take your own pics.

I think weekly work is a great way to learn the ropes of every aspect of news. And I worked for LCNI once. It's okay.

Jamie, from what a hear, is good to work for. If Ken Stone is still the publisher, I've heard good things about him.

5. I applied for the position. Putting the clips in the mail this afternoon.

6. runningman

runningman New Member

I submitted my stuff, too. I have no idea how current the posting is. Here's hoping...

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Grant County has two high schools, Grant and W-Town. W-Town is more known for its marching band than anything though....

Grant is the only school with a football team. Since 1998, they've gone 2-8, 3-7, 2-8, 3-8, 1-9, 2-8, 5-5, 4-7 and 3-8.

W-town doesn't have football, girls'/boys' soccer, swimming, girls'/boys' tennis, girls'/boys' track or wrestling. It's a really small school of about 300 students.

Williamstown is a really small community, but it's growing. So is Dry Ridge, where Grant Co. HS is located.

8. I heard it's pretty rural. that's my kind of place

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Palmetto, good luck. If you like rural, you'll get your fill of it.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you like Palmettos, though, I am afraid you will be disappointed.

11. WSKY

WSKY Member

This place is straight out of the Dukes of Hazard!

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It's not THAT bad...

Draft saved Draft deleted