1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE caught plagiarizing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fink-Nottle, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not calling a liar -- but he is certainly naive. In what world does deserving an excellent evaluation means you get one?

And how would his getting a crappy evaluation reverberate throughout the newsroom?

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The only ridiculous thing here is making any comparison between the Tank incident and this nonsense.

Morrissey is a moron for doing so, as are you for buying into it, hh.

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

what's the matter buck? running low on prozac?

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

henry, if what I think is happening here is correct, you're the one who had better be loading up on mind-altering drugs.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The work was never published so technically it's not plagiarism as far as the outside world is concerned.

And what are you gonna say to the other paper, "Look at us, we nailed one of our guys who was attempting to rip off one of your stories. But we caught it in time". That'd be, well, a little idiotic.

I'd suggest you pat yourself on the back one more time and move on.

6. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

you are a nattering old school-marm. no wonder you're depressed.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

wow. that morrissey column is un-freaking-believable. talk about the old apples-to-oranges problem. i could see a separate column on this kid but to compare his situation to tank johnson's is absurd

8. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

the analogy is apt. if you're a media person you get fired for one mistake. if you're a "heroic" athlete - you get second and third and fourth etc. chances. if you are a media person and you don't find that ironic or unjust then you have been sniffing jocks for too long.
    morrisey doesn't have a column because he's an idiot. he has it because he can connect the dots and think analytically. and no, i don't know him and have no personal interest in defending him.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

OK, let's go out on a limb and say you have a valid point.

Why should any reader give a shit about that column? No one cares about who leaked what regarding the starting QB in a meaningless game.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sorry, but David Aldridge had this breaking news 10 minutes ago.

11. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

okay, that column is not interesting to Joe Fan trying to handicap the next game. It is interesting to people who follow sports on multiple levels - not only the game action, but the culture of sports. But if I were only interested in the next game I would read Pro Football Prospectus or some leatherhead thing. I wouldn't be reading Morrissey. If I'm reading Morrissey I want something different and revealing. That column is revealing. At its root, it is a populist piece of work. It's about little guys getting screwed, while powerful people make their own rules. To me, that is what journalism should be about.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It also should be about getting the facts, though.

The league wouldn't let the Bears give Tank a flat-out release. You and Morrissey fail to grasp that.

And that column is about as revealing as a 2-watt light bulb.

Draft saved Draft deleted