1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE at twice-weekly in Western Oregon

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Clever username, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

E-mail this job to a friend
    Printer-friendly version

Company: Curry Coastal Pilot
    Position: Sports editor on Oregon Coast
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: September 17, 2008
    Job ID: 824774

Description:
    The Curry Coastal Pilot, a twice-weekly award-winning community newspaper on the beautiful Southern Oregon Coast, is accepting applications for a full-time Sports Editor. The position is now open. This position is a one-man sports department responsible for covering traditional and non-traditional sports and outdoor activities such as fishing, hiking and hunting. The job requires writing and editing sports stories, taking photographs and laying out one to two pages per issue. Join a positive, upbeat newsroom that is filled with journalists practicing big town journalism for our appreciative, small-town readers. The surrounding beaches, rivers and forests offer plenty of outdoor fun. The position requires evening and occasional weekend work. Candidates must have reliable transportation. Training and education opportunities are available. The Curry Coastal Pilot is the primary newspaper for the Brookings-Harbor area, population 13,000, and surrounding Curry County. The Pilot is one of nine papers owned by Western Communications Inc., and is sister paper to the Bend Bulletin. We offer benefits such as medical, dental and 401K-profit sharing. J-grads preferred, but practical experience considered. Experience with Photoshop, Quark and digital cameras is a plus. Pay is $12 to $14 per hour depending on experience. Candidates from the western United States are preferred. The Pilot is a drug-free workplace. Send resume, cover letter and clips to Scott Graves, Editor, Curry Coastal Pilot, PO Box 700, Brookings, OR, 97415. Brief inquiries can be e-mailed to sgraves@currypilot.com.

Isn't this job open all the time?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Pretty much, and I think they've interviewed everybody out West at least once. Hell, I interviewed out there.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I thought the western side of Oregon was nice?

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

it's very nice clever.

5. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

It's nice, but Brookings is the SW corner of Oregon -- two hours to Grants Pass (closest "city"/I-5 onramp); four hours to Mt. Shasta, and almost five hours to Redding or Shasta Lake.

It may be pretty on the coast/101, but it's also pretty isolated.

6. thebigd

thebigd Member

I wonder if somebody backed out, or they froze the position for a spell, because I know this has been posted recently. The pay isn't bad, and if you could work your way to Bend, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

7. thebigd

thebigd Member

They made a hire. Guy apparently chose a twice weekly over a daily

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bend is utopia?

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

only if you can stop in Eugene and get good weed on the way

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hell, go straight to the source ... humboldt county.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I did some camping and hiking in that region last summer. Beautiful. Isolated (which is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned), but beautiful.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The twice-weekly may have offered more money and better bennies than the daily.

Draft saved Draft deleted