1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE at (Morgantonw WV) Dominion Post

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Replacing Bob Hertzel. I don't know what the hell happened, but wow ...

The Dominion Post is small familiy-owned paper - its owner John Raese is running for US Senate against Robert C.Byrd.
    Its nice paper, might be a good job.

E-mail this job to a friend
    Printer-friendly version

Company: The Dominion Post
    Position: Dynamic Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: October 18, 2006
    Job ID: 681098

Description:
    The Dominion Post, the source for WVU sports news, seeks an enthusiastic and energetic leader to direct a seasoned sports staff of three full-time reporters, a part-time reporter, and a full-time writer-slot employee.
    Our "Touchdown City" newspaper prides itself on its coverage of the Mountaineers, and we go on the road with West Virginia University’s nationally ranked football and basketball teams. In addition, we focus on five high schools with programs that have gained state champion status. Our audience enjoys coverage diversity -- from hunting and fishing news to NASCAR and Rec League roundups.

We seek a Sports Editor who can refine and improve our existing coverage, organize and expand our coverage, and oversee the development and execution of enterprise. The ideal candidate understands the importance of taking readers behind the scenes to offer them more than simply pre-game, game and post-game coverage.

The Dominion Post has a 25,000 Sunday circulation and a 21,000 daily circulation.

Minimum requirements include a college degree, at least three years experience, strong copyediting skills and knowledge of AP style. Quark Express experience is a plus. Excellent benefits; salary is commensurate with experience and ability. Email resume and cover letter to editor@dominionpost.com or send materials to The Dominion Post, Editor Geri Ferrara, 1251 Earl L. Core Road, Morgantown, WV 26505.

When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.

Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2006

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is this the second paper in Morgantown?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What happened to Bob? Someone has to know? Is he retiring?

4. There is only one paper in Morgantown.
    But there are three dailys within a 35-mile radius: Clarksburg (18,000 circ?? daily), Fairmont (12,000 circ daily) and Mo'town, which is the largest.
    The Fairmont paper is awful. One of the two worst dailys in the state.

5. I can't imagine him retiring. Saw him a few weeks ago at the WVU-MU game. The governor is there, on the field, he walks over to Bob and says hi.
    There was a shakeup at the paper, I know they lost a (sports?)copy editor and I think a sports writer. I know Hertzel wasn't happy about it.
    A few years ago they brought in a new ME who tried to institute a dress code (We're talking about Sponge Bob Sweatpants) and he flat-out refused to adhere to it.
    He won.
    I'd love to know what happened to Bob. I can't see him doing anything other than sports. I wouldn't have been surprised if has hired by back to a bigger paper for a major beat (MLB or NFL). He's a hell of a good writer and a flat-out major-league columnist.
    If anyone knows, please share.

6. SuperDeuce

SuperDeuce Member

Hertzel's sweatpants are legendary among WVU sports circles. Uck! Guy canwrite his ass off, though.

7. Hertzel worked in Pittsburgh before he went to M'town, correct?

8. blandcanyon

blandcanyon Guest

A interesting job post where

you think you know, and you don't. Don't know what happened, don't know what's changed. Book this, though: Morgantown is a cool colllege town. Your thirsts for food and drink will be more than satiated. The job? There's meddling involved from above - not like the bad chains, however - and sources say none of that meddling has helped. And Hertzel is/was, well, a legend. An entertaining legend. "Can write his ass off"? Hmm.

OK, now time for more flaming from those who don't know. Have at it. But yes, a Hertzel update can only be interesting.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow - all i can say is thanks for volunteering that one canyon.

now go fetch me a hostetler bagel and a beer and shut the hell up.

10. blandcanyon

blandcanyon Guest

wow - all i can say is i 'm sorry i failed to offer the mature insight and wit so prevelant on the jobs board ('so what are they looking for?' ... 'thanks for stopping by, whomever just got a compliment). now go fetch a deep kneebend and an Aleve and shut the hell up. ;D

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Hey Blandcanyon... you're hired.

12. Hertzel, good people. Good writer. The town? Fantastic. Mario's Fish Bowl (if it's still open) is an institution.
    That being said, when you work for people like the owners (who can be a tad whimsy) it doesn't make for the most stable environment.

Draft saved Draft deleted