1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SD card malfunction

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Feb 26, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am shooting photos at a tournament. Take the SD card out of the computer, put it in the camera and it's write protected.
    Take the card out and go to flip the switch to unlocked and the little tab breaks off.
    Yes, it's locked. Shitfuck..
    I tried using a staple and paper clip through the hole in the slot in hopes I could move the slide. It's not that I don't have a replacement or can't afford one. Just don't want to waste an otherwise good card...
    I have a spare, so that's not a problem, but how can I unlock the card to use?

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

A quick Google search reveals a page where it claims you can simply put a small piece of tape over where the lock used to be.

http://camerarepair.blogspot.com/2009/07/simple-fix-for-memory-card-locked-error.html

No clue if this works but worth a try. Let us know if it does.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. Yes it does... for how long I dont know, but scotch tape for now works... thanks

4. mb

mb Active Member

Sounds like the old VHS tape tab / tab fix.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

heh, That was my exact thought as well.

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Weird. Glad it worked though. I have no clue why it would work but who cares!

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Funny that some associate it with VHS tapes. I was thinking of audio cassettes.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I was thinking the slide moved something internally; never occured to me that it might block or release something in the camera.

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Scotch Tape and Super Glue...the uses never end :)

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Same here. In fact, I still used a cassette recorder until it finally went Tango Uniform last football season and I had to join the 21st century.

Draft saved Draft deleted