1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SC's road trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Jul 20, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

So tomorrow I embark on first really long road trip since I moved out West -- an 11-hour drive through the mountains of Montana and Idaho.

I've got two routes I could take, both are about 11 hours, although one is about 150 miles longer.

The shorter one is a mostly two-lane road through some of the most beautiful country out West (IMHO), while the long one is all Interstate and not nearly as pretty. The longer one, however, is a much easier drive.

So people of SportsJournalists.com, which one would you take?

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

If it was me, I'd definitely take the prettier drive.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Which interstate?

4. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Take the shorter one. As long as the road is paved and there's no snow you should be fine.
    I have a pretty good idea, or close to it, which roads you'll be going on...and ya, definitely the shorter one.
    Come October or November, though, you kind of have to take the longer one. I found that out the hard way!

5. sportschick

Four of them, Pall. 90, 15, 84 and 86.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

If you've got good weather and a decent car, take the pretty road. If either is at risk, take the road more traveled.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

One of my regrets so far is that I've never been able to do a long road trip out west. Midwest, South, East, North, Northeast, done it.
    Never really driven west of Denver.

Have fun.

8. sportschick

Is it gonna scare me though? I'm a real wuss through mountain passes.

9. sportschick

I rented a car, so that should be fine, and I should have light through the entire part of it I don't know.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Does the pretty road, by any chance, involve U.S. 2 between Everett, Wash., and Wenatchee, Wash.? That's one of the most beautiful stretches of road anywhere, and is always worth the extra time (except in the very worst of weather, which one would figure you shouldn't expect tomorrow.)

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Sounds like good advice. I'm sure you'll have fun either way, though.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd do the pretty one going out and the easy one coming back.

Draft saved Draft deleted