1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scripps

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Angola!, Mar 26, 2009.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Needles rocks (pun intended). State champions three times. In Nevada. Yes, a California team plays for Nevada state sports.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If anyone will do it, it's Scripps before the rest.

3. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I remember when scripps was one of the good chains to work for. Now, I don't think such a thing exists anymore, they are all being run by douchebags intent on killing the industry. Make a buck today despite the fact it will cost us five next year!

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

According to my AP style guide, clusterfuck is one word.

5. mb

mb Active Member

From what I'm hearing, there's something along the lines of close to 40 editors/designers between Abilene, San Angelo, Wichita Falls and Corpus. They're all having to reapply for roughly 25 positions after the purge reorganization.

And Corpus has apparently been doing San Angelo's agate page and NBA page for a few months.

6. Death

Death Member

I'd have to think some institutional control is given up at some point, too. Be it ad stacks, inside page selection, whatever.

The papers all have very different formats. Switching to one for all four papers, possibly Corpus', would seem to be the only way to make it work. Same style sheets, etc., so there could be crossover.

Covering 7 shifts per week with only a desk of 40 for four papers? Assuming each paper is an average of 32 pages per week, that's 128 pages per night. So what can you subtract? All of the things mentioned here, agate, N&W, etc. maybe as totally common "pickup" pages?

1A, Sports front, Features front, Opinion all likely have to be different, unless they're talking about just leaving one or two spots open for local news.

So that's an average of 16 pages per desker per night if staffed with eight people. On slower nights, staffed with five, it's closer to 26 per night. Not to mention, you have to block out time for things like the football preview, which isn't part of the daily.

It's a very ambitious operation and I'm sure it can be done, but not sure there's the production/technical expertise at any of those papers to help see this project through without killing the deskers in the process. In the old days, someone from the Rocky would have came down and helped.

JPS, after four years of talking about doing this stuff, they finally did it.

Does anyone know if any Corpus deskers lost their jobs to make room for other staffers?

7. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

How do I post after Death? That's like hitting behind Babe Ruth.

Well, it's nice to see Lee Goddard is still with the Caller Times. He's a good man.

8. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Is it sadly fitting that Death is a newbie on this site?

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

All the time I lived out west, I didn't realize Needles High played in Nevada.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Coleville, which is north of Mammoth and closer to Carson City near the Nevada border, plays in the CIF-Southern Section.

11. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

If all the papers were on the same computer system, like the Tribune company, it wouldn't matter where everyone worked. So, the editors wouldn't have to be shipped down to Corpus to work together.

12. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Fixed, thanks

I must have an old style book, i couldn't find it in there ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted