1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scripps

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Angola!, Mar 26, 2009.

1. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I think you'll be able to sum up Friday nights in the fall in two words: cluster fuck

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Heard this affects eight in Abilene on the desk. No word on whether there is any sort of plan in place for how to handle Friday.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And for the record, when the Rocky was put up for sale Dec. 4 -- and when it was shuttered Feb. 26 -- Rich Boehne and Mark Contreras stood in the now former newsroom and said all of Scripps' newspaper entities -- ALL of them -- were profitable, except the Rocky.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

but wait, a management person told me back in the fall that there were no more changes coming to corpus. i don't understand. you don't think she was less than honest with me, do ya?

5. mb

mb Active Member

What type of workload are we talking about? They can't possibly be doing all the design for all four in one spot.

I'd love to hear as much about the nuts and bolts as anybody can provide.

6. mb

mb Active Member

Here's the caller.com (Corpus) report:

http://www.caller.com/news/2009/mar/26/caller_times_reorganize/

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I really should avoid commenting. It's not good for my recovery, such as it is.

But, you know how it is. "The marketplace has changed." "The rough economy has forced us to make these changes." "We think these changes are important at this time."

OK, back to searching for nonexistent jobs.

8. mb

mb Active Member

I realize that in this age you can accomplish pretty much anything via phone/internet/etc., but here's your distances:

WFalls to CC: 520 miles or so
    Abilene to CC: 400 miles or so
    San Angelo to CC: 350 or so

And when the folks they bring in leave/are fired/furloughed/reassigned/whatever, I'm sure they'll be hiring their replacements from the cities those papers cover.

Hell, why don't they just go for the moneyshot and do it all in India?

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, eight laid off in Abilene and 18 in Corpus Christi (one of which I know is from sports).

Any word on San Angelo or Wichita Falls?

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

after reading that article, this appears to be one of those times when hindsight says "thank god i didn't get that job" because the position i was in the running for appears to be right in the middle of of this clusterfuck.

11. mb

mb Active Member

Having been through the Harte-Hanks sale to Scripps, it's hard to believe how big a change there has been in Scripps (and in the Reporter-News and Caller-Times) in that not-all-that-long time.

12. jps

jps Active Member

I'm just baffled. the whole nation/world thing can work. it has plenty of problems, but it can work. but with this? when a wichita falls guy turns in his rider high football story friday night at 11:15 -- along with, what, maybe a dozen staffed games between the four papers -- with all getting sent to corpus, which then has to send pages back ... how the hell is that gonna happen? and are there the final round of page proofs off the first run, or is that gone?

same thing goes with basketball, when you get a boys/girls doubleheader. you get back to your office at 10:15 or 10:30.

this is insane.

sorry, scripps folks.

Draft saved Draft deleted